Entirely agree.
by potatohouse (2021-04-15 14:18:54)

In reply to: I hope the norm becomes "I don't care what you do."  posted by revressbo

My biggest hope going forward is that those who are most susceptible to something "routine" for many of us (like the flu) becoming serious and/or life-threatening will be able to shed any self-consciousness that might've prevented them from taking the very easy step of masking up to add a little shield of protection.

I remember how personally awkward is was for me last April the first time I donned a gaiter and ducked my way into the super market. I try to feel comfortable in my own skin, but that was nerve-wracking. It was shades up showing up to middle school with a dorky shirt my mom picked out. And I can remember the moment it all flipped and suddenly the majority of the people in the store were now wearing masks. And the sense of calm and comfort that being back and safe in the majority brought.

It should not be lost on anyone how our measures this past year decimated common seasonal illness. While it will be optimal for the vast majority to return to a non-distanced, non-masked existence, those who choose not to should not be subjected to any societal mockery.

Replies: