Starlink update part II
by Four Pillars (click here to email the poster) (2021-04-15 14:30:12)
Edited on 2021-04-15 14:31:01

I used my starlink satellite dish on the ground with some modest obstructions (the top of a tree) and it was good but it seemed to cut out fairly frequently. I finally received my roof mount (two weeks after ordering...Starlink is not fast when it comes to processing orders so if you're planning to mount on the roof then order it with the equipment) and have been using it for about a week with no obstructions. Other than the challenge of climbing my fairly steep (40 degree) roof, the install was easy. All you'll need is a stud finder drill and a ratchet. Make sure your roof isn't too steep as the dish needs to be mounted at no more than 40 degrees from vertical.

Bottom line: I love the product. I have real internet again and at half the monthly cost of my prior satellite internet (Viasat).

It does still drop intermittently as it switches satellites but it isn't terrible and will improve as more satellites are launched. It's usually only for 5-15 seconds. I use Teams for work seemingly all fucking day and it's worked great. Again, every now and then it will cut out while switching satellites but not very often. All my coworkers say my video looks great now.

So, bottom line, if you are looking for a good satellite internet option, have clear line of sight to the north and are comfortable getting on your roof to drive 6 lag bolts then Starlink is a great option. Email attached if anyone wants more in depth info/opinion.