I always took that statement to mean
by ravenium (2021-04-15 14:34:31)

In reply to: Agreed. Fauci et al. may be brilliant immunologists,  posted by Tex Francisco

That continuing to wear a mask was because nobody had a giant sign saying "I'm vaccinated" that people could easily discern, and following social norms until we made some sort of declaration was key both to assuage the public and prevent abuse. I could be entirely wrong of course.

I have to admit I saw an older gentleman take his dog into the vet unmasked and my first thought was "you fool!" before I realized he'd probably been vaccinated for over a month. Hopefully. This'll take a while to get a mental handle on.

That implies the CDC has a modicum of emotional intelligence
by NavyJoe  (2021-04-15 14:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't.

Not to mention, if that is the official stance then they should just say that.

They don't trust people
by gordonbombay  (2021-04-16 10:59:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why they're not saying that. They think that if they said, "Well, everyone should keep wearing masks in public for show, but we're pretty freaking sure vaccinated people can't really transmit it", that many vaccinated people would ditch the mask anyway and the anti-vax/anti-mask crowd would do it too and just lie.

It's the same reason people were lying about mask-wearing early on - everyone knew it was likely they were necessary, but because they didn't trust people not to buy all the supply up, they tried to dissuade people from doing it.

It's very frustrating and makes otherwise agreeable people wonder whether they're telling the whole truth at a given time.