Here in CT, 55% of adults have received their first dose.
by LondonDomer (2021-04-15 20:24:21)
Edited on 2021-04-15 20:47:45

Including 87% of those 65+, 73% 55-64, 56% 45-54, and 34% of 16-44.

It was also a day seeing our lowest positivity rate (2%), case count (700), and hospitalizations (-13) in quite a while.

Hoping it’s a harbinger of continued good news as we reach higher and higher with vaccination numbers and weather continues to improve. Connecticut sucks at a lot of things but the vaccine rollout here has been really well done.

And yet
by squid  (2021-04-15 21:09:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

numbers are 10x last summer and hospitalizations and cases are actually increasing.

Let’s hope the next three weeks really turns the corner all around.

Those numbers are weird.
by LondonDomer  (2021-04-16 08:08:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It shows the number of hospitalized as averaging 595 on April 15.

From the numbers Governor Lamont shares, it peaked barely over 500 and has been trending down for the last week.

Cases seem accurate. But they seem to have started trending down.

don't know
by squid  (2021-04-16 08:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anyway, the current infections/hospitalizations in most places would have scared the crap out of us in October. The winter wave was just off the charts bad and I think our eyes are drawn to that mountain on the chart but don't look back and say, you know what, numbers are still high compared to the summer and early fall in most places.

I'm a week into my second dose so yay for that. Virginia's loose criteria allowed me to get it with a BMI of 26 (overweight).

This is the part I don’t understand
by Endthecursein05  (2021-04-16 07:20:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why are we not seeing better numbers in regards to cases and hospitalizations? If there was no vaccine yet, would it increasingly worse?

In Michigan, we sort of are seeing better numbers.
by grnd  (2021-04-16 08:56:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know that sounds crazy given that we have more hospitalizations than at any time in the pandemic. But the demographic has changed: whereas before, the hospitalizations were mainly 65+, now those being hospitalized are mainly under 65. Over 70% of 65+ have received one dose of vaccine (and almost 65% are fully vaccinated). The vaccine appears to be protecting those most vulnerable (and most vaccinated) from this current surge. The surge is in a younger, substantially less-vaccinated demographic.

And the surge is happening in Michigan because we have substantial spread of the more contagious B.1.1.7. variant, coupled with pandemic fatigue and also that we had a larger pool of uninfected people due to having done a pretty good job up to this point of keeping infections down.

Deaths are a lagging indicator, but so far they do not seem to be ramping up as before when cases and hospitalizations spiked.

some thoughts (not a doctor)
by parietals  (2021-04-16 08:07:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

-the new variants are more infectious, speeding up cases
-we are still far away from herd immunity
-American society is done with covid and moving on (see mask mandates dropping, airports extremely crowded, beaches too).
-The people that are living life like before are also the people that aren't going to get vaccinated. (generalized comment, of course)

beaches mostly safe
by turtle17  (2021-04-16 13:38:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just because I can't help myself, beaches themselves are mostly safe. The bars and restaurants after, maybe not, but the outside aspect of beaches is a really big positive.

We're an educated sort.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-15 20:30:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe not the folks east of 395, but for the most part everyone down this way is getting their jab at the first opportunity.

Me, my wife, my buddy, and some co-workers signed up for a text alert system that would let you know if extra vax was avail before going to waste, none of us ever got notified.

My wife gets #2 in 10 days, and we'll have full protection in 3 weeks. The light at the end of the tunnel is finally here. I even got cleared to ride the train to work again, I am so pumped.

And no shortage of arrogance, it would seem *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-04-16 12:23:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I need to ask for a carve-out
by Shifty  (2021-04-16 08:34:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

East of the Thames, South of I-95.

You can't lump Mystic, Stonington, etc. in with, say, Griswold or Moosup.

You can call a spade a spade.
by Tommy Baseball  (2021-04-15 20:41:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By "East of 395" you mean Red Sox fans.

Are they really Red Sox fans if they fly the rebel flag?
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-15 21:00:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cause that's where you'll see them in CT.

The overlap of that Venn diagram is known for
by captaineclectic  (2021-04-15 22:57:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"waving the bloody sock"

And crappy video games. *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-16 05:44:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blood-stained sock. *
by Tommy Baseball  (2021-04-15 23:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow *
by coachbob  (2021-04-15 22:45:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not kidding.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-16 05:17:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never fail to be confused at the residents of this state who have that flag flying.

I lived there for thirty years
by coachbob  (2021-04-16 09:48:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I never saw one. And I lived in possibly the most conservative town in SECT.

Head up into the Litchfield Hills
by Allumeuse  (2021-04-16 10:11:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’ll see plenty. I grew up with people hanging it in the back window of their trucks.

Obviously, it must be because it's their heritage.
by Milhouse  (2021-04-16 08:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So many people from that state fought and died for states rights, you know.

There are more North of I-84 along state route 8 *
by uconndomer  (2021-04-15 21:29:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

84 & 8, the intersection God forgot.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-15 21:32:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our own little Mahoning valley.

Spaghetti Junction *
by Shifty  (2021-04-16 07:42:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That there is swamp Yankee land *
by Allumeuse  (2021-04-15 23:28:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do these folks not own a map of the US or were they just
by The Holtz Room  (2021-04-15 22:09:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

REALLY poor history students?

I thought all you CT people were Alex P Keaton wannabes whose ancestors trace back to when white met bread.

I saw more confederate flags growing up in Indiana
by Smokin_Clover  (2021-04-16 08:49:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than I do living in the capital of the confederacy.

The test scores go down as you go east. *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-04-16 06:50:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the Pats fans moved south recently, so... *
by ravenium  (2021-04-15 21:04:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post