Within a margin, I agree
by ravenium (2021-08-02 13:08:07)

In reply to: It's also possible they just disagree with it  posted by pmcdnd96

I don't feel personally offended if someone wants me to wear a mask again -it's near zero opportunity cost. Even back when they announced the end of restrictions I didn't begrudge anyone who still wanted to wear one, or the fact that people still chose not to go out to events. Doing more than the minimum is different than people not doing the bare minimum. Plus, on an individual level, my parents not wanting to dine out isn't going to sink the restaurant industry, vs the restaurant being forced to 25% capacity.

Where it gets frustrating is when (non-expert) people project this into what other people should be doing. People such as Fauci, CDC, etc are sources of authority and expertise, and if they say to do it, do it. You don't have to like it, of course, but I trust that the thousands of hours and years of research are going to be right more often than any individual.

Some person on reddit who claims authority because they helped people find vaccines 6 months ago can absolutely go their own way for themselves, but can back right off when telling me what is "right".

It's true, they're not actively causing changes in my life, but they're taking a mental health toll. I just had a friend cancel on me for our (outside) bike pedal event because "sick people breathing hard, delta". I respect his decision but I dislike the fear that influenced him (he loves twitter).

Replies: