California faces another major crisis…no bacon!
by IAND75 (2021-08-02 13:34:55)

“At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.”

"This little piggy went to mar....oops, every other piggy
by mkovac  (2021-08-02 18:41:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

went to market..."

We do things differently out here in California.

We pass "feel good" legislation and then forget about it. Then, when the consequences arrive, we are like "WTF?!"

I have a friend who bought a freezer
by wcnitz  (2021-08-02 15:31:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just to stockpile bacon as a result of this. He really loves his bacon.

If he really loved bacon . . .
by No Right Turn on Red  (2021-08-02 22:08:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he'd raise his own pigs and make his own bacon.

He's also lazy
by wcnitz  (2021-08-03 12:51:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And lives in Pasadena. Pretty sure he can't own them.

Guess they will have to settle for Traveler burgers instead *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-08-02 14:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along with no shipments of certain gaming PCs. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-08-02 14:07:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was a good reasoned analysis of this recently
by ravenium  (2021-08-02 15:39:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like many of us olds, I resent having to watch a damned youtube video to get useful information. However, this guy's about as close to a Real Engineer as you'll get and (youtube window dressing aside) a lot more coherent than most places.

The gist is that it's not going to affect homebuilders at all, only pre-builts, and even then if you're a "high expansion" PC (which a lot of the current crop are) you're exempt. The people who seem to get hosed are the mid-market prebuilts. This is also 4 year old legislation, so it's been around a while.

Having said that, I haven't quite figured out the net effect it's supposed to have, given the builds it does affect. I mean, I leave my PC on all the time but I tell it to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity. I would wager my power saving methods are better than a lot of the kids, who are probably trying to coin mine in their idle time. If this drives better idle-state management I think it'll be a good thing.

However, naturally that doesn't sound as fun as "California bans gaming PCs!" which I admit made me think "ugh, California's at it again" at first.