I can't figure out why this is even up for debate.
by FaytlND (2021-08-02 14:01:27)
Edited on 2021-08-02 14:09:42

In reply to: The only people pushing COVID isn't a risk for kids are  posted by CUBluejays

Proof of vaccination should be required in schools. Those under 12 should be masked. If you choose not to be vaccinated, masks should be mandatory with surveillance testing. If you don't want to do that, then a hybrid option should be provided.

EDIT: And I would also say that I don't get it when people say "only" 300 kids died of COVID. Can someone give me the acceptable number of child deaths that balances out asking kids to mask and others to provide proof of vaccination? 50? 100? 200? 1000? Because that number isn't going to stay static at 300 if we decide on the "hold my beer" approach. That doesn't even factor in the other risks that you bring up.

It dovetails with my post below. Sure, the chance of "my" kid dying is low. But get enough childhood infections, and someone will.

What's your proposed # for your edit?
by brewcitydomer  (2021-08-02 17:24:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems as though your answer is zero, which feels like one of the underlying concerns (another being the risks to children being used to justify shutting down schools again, an absolutely unacceptable resolution at all levels). If zero childhood COVID deaths is the only scenario wherein masks can be discarded, we will be masking until the end of time. Maybe that's okay, but that's what's implied.

My proposed number is "as few as possible".
by FaytlND  (2021-08-02 18:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree it's not going to be zero, but I think it's backwards to suggest the burden should be on people supporting masks to show they might prevent "enough" deaths.

I mean, based on the fact that 350 (at least) died with many schools shut down or using masks/distancing, the number won't be zero. So the question is what kind of increase (plus general disruptions to clarrooms if there are outbreaks) is everyone willing to tolerate to not have to wear them. Ultimately, the problem is that you don't get a do-over.

And it's not forever. It's until vaccines are approved for 2+, which should hopefully be by early next year.

Thanks that’s very helpful *
by brewcitydomer  (2021-08-02 20:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post