Buffalo Bills to Austin?
by Nyirish08 (2021-08-02 16:18:28)

Gov Abbott confirmed in some reports it is being discussed. Or its a big negotiating threat to NY politicians.

Could the "Austin Bills" soon be a thing in the NFL? That really depends on what happens with the ongoing negotiations between the ownership brass of the Buffalo Bills, the state of New York, and Erie County. That said, an ownership source told ESPN's Seth Wickersham that Austin, Texas is a possible destination -- or threat -- as one of the "other cities elsewhere that desire an NFL franchise and would pay handsomely for it."

The “Blues”?(political), The Snowflakes?( political),
by rgvirish  (2021-08-02 21:32:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Weirdos? ( unofficial city slogan), The Armadillos? ( alliteration) The Capitals?(obvious)

Just wondering what their name would be.

The Stephens *
by Tommy Baseball  (2021-08-02 22:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 3:16s *
by captaineclectic  (2021-08-03 09:17:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’ll still suck.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-08-02 20:25:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Austin has way better food, and much nicer to visit during the season.

Austin, don't overlook the Bengals & Browns. *
by cmhirish  (2021-08-02 19:01:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The third Browns franchise will be the charm for Cleveland. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2021-08-02 20:13:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're already on # 3; or #4 if you count the Bengals.
by cmhirish  (2021-08-02 23:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Cleveland Rams - the original Cleveland franchise was an AFL team that left Cleveland because, well, hey, who wouldn't?

2. Art Model purchases Browns >> fires Paul Brown >> Brown co-founds Bengals (aka "Striped Browns") >> Brown's son Mike continues to run Bengals into the ground to this day

3. Cleveland fans run Art Model out of town (OK, satire -- but they did eventually agree to a tax hike to fund a new stadium, which is what Model wanted all along) >> Model moves franchise to Baltimore >> the Baltimore Purple Browns are born.
For reasons unclear to rational human beings, Cleveland fans insist on retaining "Browns" franchise name and team records

4. Cleveland Browns franchise is reborn; "Factory of Sadness" ensues

TLDR:
Cleveland has polluted the NFL with 4 franchises. Cleveland, please just stop.

Just a part of the negotiation process, but an ugly one
by garbageplate  (2021-08-02 18:13:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I think it's an extreme longshot that the team will move, this heavy-handed bargaining approach is certain to accelerate the rapid erosion of the Pegulas' goodwill in the local community.

Given the shabby state of the hockey team and the longstanding efforts to brand the football team as a community asset, Western New Yorkers are rightfully pissed off at a request for 100% public funding for a new stadium, coupled with a threat of relocation from ownership. To raise the specter of moving at this early stage of negotiation is offensive.

I’m not sure why anyone is a fan of the NFL anymore. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2021-08-02 20:15:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm still a fervent supporter of the Bills
by garbageplate  (2021-08-02 21:01:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Regardless, if they're going to demand 100% of public money to build a stadium, which itself is a lucrative venture that will serve only to enrich the owners, then there's no choice but to let the team walk.

It would be devastating psychologically to a region that already has issues with its reputation (weather, economy, etc.), but there's no reason for the community to bear the burden of paying for a stadium that the owners can finance on their own. I think most people by now have gotten wise to the fact that these stadium projects do not deliver the promised benefits to the surrounding area, which is why there is already significant push back to this audacious proposal.

Just part of the process
by buffaloirish  (2021-08-02 17:05:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're staying.

Book it.

[If you substitute "winning" for "staying," I uttered two prior sentences four times in Januaries in the early 90s.]

Wooing the NFL makes about as much sense
by ndhouston  (2021-08-02 16:46:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as plowing under half of your city to host the Olympics.

$1.5Bn for 8 noon kickoffs a year is a terrible deal. Austin would be better served holding out for a baseball team. More games = more tax recovery opportunities.

I have some bad and shocking news for you
by garbageplate  (2021-08-02 21:13:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Despite your dire predictions, football remains wildly popular and will continue to remain popular for many years to come.

They are different animals
by ACross  (2021-08-02 20:12:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baseball generates lukewarm interest after opening day/week until post season. Few people tailgate orwatch four hours of tv in bars/restaurants or travel in from out of state to attend the game and tailgates and fill up hotels.

It is not like your are sitting there in Europe smarter than any decision maker , community and owner over here. There is a significant psychic and tangible prestige that comes from being an NFL city. And major college football city.

I actually get to Austin a fair bit
by ndhouston  (2021-08-03 00:13:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can see why a rust belt city might want NFL football for "prestige", but Austin doesn't need it. They already have enough activities, and can afford to tell the NFL to build their own stadium if they want to inflict the Bills on central Texas.

Besides, Austin already has a pro football team *
by sprack  (2021-08-02 16:57:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You jest, but I actually think this is a big reason...
by ewillND  (2021-08-03 06:57:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Austin probably wouldn't shell out for an NFL stadium. Any team they put in there would be indirectly competing with the Longhorns.

Sounds like the Austin city council doesn't know anything about it, anyway. Empty threat/negotiating tool

SEC rejected Bills’ request *
by fastenatingguy  (2021-08-02 17:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope maniactranspodriver has you on ignore or he might
by The Holtz Room  (2021-08-02 16:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

jump out of a window sans Bills Mafia style table to break his fall.

Heh not on ignore but all is well
by maniactranspodriver  (2021-08-02 20:23:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not going to happen, but I do suggest the writer who floated the story should be subject to a shaming by ketchup and mustard dousing at a Bills tailgate.

Mike Florio's been beating this drum for years
by garbageplate  (2021-08-02 21:09:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He carries water for the NFL, so he's been trotting out this threat annually on his NBC blog. I don't think there's any way that the Pegulas would move the team, but they've shown a capacity for tone deaf behavior.

Or a table power-bomb *
by The Holtz Room  (2021-08-02 20:40:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let's recall the 1995 voter rejection of The Austin Swing
by knutesteen  (2021-08-02 16:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The City of Austin will not build the Buffalo Bills' owners a stadium with public money. Precourt Sports Ventures privately financed the construction of Austin FC's Q2 Stadium:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/12/19/austin-and-psv-finalize-soccer-stadium-deal-mls.html

I'd say any mention of Austin is solely a negotiating ploy in Buffalo, and nothing Greg Abbott says matters unless the State of Texas intends to build it, and yes, Jerra won't allow that to happen.

that would suck for Bills fans
by DBCooper  (2021-08-02 16:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I dont know a more loyal group of fans in professional sports.

I can’t imagine Jerry Jones will let that happen
by vermin05  (2021-08-02 16:23:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An Austin franchise would rob Austin/San Antonio from Dallas home area.

San Antonio tried to steal the Saints post-Katrina
by Keenan4w  (2021-08-02 17:36:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And not like several years post-Katrina, like during the 2005 season.

Thanks mostly to Paul Tagliabue, it never came to be, but F Mayor Phil Hardberger and those vultures over in San Antonio. And F our now deceased owner, Tom Benson, for trying to screw his hometown in their time of need.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Right, Houston and Dallas consider Austin and San Antonio
by milhouse  (2021-08-02 16:40:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be their territory.