Wooing the NFL makes about as much sense
by ndhouston (2021-08-02 16:46:03)

In reply to: Buffalo Bills to Austin?  posted by Nyirish08

as plowing under half of your city to host the Olympics.

$1.5Bn for 8 noon kickoffs a year is a terrible deal. Austin would be better served holding out for a baseball team. More games = more tax recovery opportunities.

I have some bad and shocking news for you
by garbageplate  (2021-08-02 21:13:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Despite your dire predictions, football remains wildly popular and will continue to remain popular for many years to come.

They are different animals
by ACross  (2021-08-02 20:12:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baseball generates lukewarm interest after opening day/week until post season. Few people tailgate orwatch four hours of tv in bars/restaurants or travel in from out of state to attend the game and tailgates and fill up hotels.

It is not like your are sitting there in Europe smarter than any decision maker , community and owner over here. There is a significant psychic and tangible prestige that comes from being an NFL city. And major college football city.

I actually get to Austin a fair bit
by ndhouston  (2021-08-03 00:13:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can see why a rust belt city might want NFL football for "prestige", but Austin doesn't need it. They already have enough activities, and can afford to tell the NFL to build their own stadium if they want to inflict the Bills on central Texas.

Besides, Austin already has a pro football team *
by sprack  (2021-08-02 16:57:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You jest, but I actually think this is a big reason...
by ewillND  (2021-08-03 06:57:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Austin probably wouldn't shell out for an NFL stadium. Any team they put in there would be indirectly competing with the Longhorns.

Sounds like the Austin city council doesn't know anything about it, anyway. Empty threat/negotiating tool

SEC rejected Bills’ request *
by fastenatingguy  (2021-08-02 17:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post