Carjackings: stay vigilant
by airborneirish (2021-09-28 12:55:24)
Edited on 2021-09-28 22:40:33

The old saw of "it can happen to anyone" is effective at downplaying the impact of crime and tragedy until of course you are the victim. Last night, three guys attempted to car jack me in my garage. If it were not for Rudy, our 11 lbs. miniature schnauzer, attacking and giving me enough time to escape they would have been successful.

I'm fine, but I am distressed out about what could have happened if I let one of my kids join me or if my wife instead had run the errand. Here is what happened.

Stay vigilant

Very scary. So glad that you are ok! *
by kellykapowski  (2021-10-02 15:01:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was a Juror in a Carjacking case. What I learned
by NotraDom77  (2021-09-29 13:05:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, airborneirish thank you for your service and glad you and Rudy are OK. I was a juror in a carjacking trial a few years back in Newark NJ. The facts of the trial- the owner of a Range Rover was bumped slightly at a traffic light in Newark. When he got out of the car to check for damage, the passenger of the vehicle that bumped him jumped out and stuck a gun in his face and told him to hand over the (expletive) keys. He did although he was injured slightly when he tried to unsuccessfully retrieve his wallet from the passenger side door as the carjacker drove off. The use of the victim's credit cards from that wallet wound up being a factor in the case. In my business, I deal with police unions and know many cops (surprisingly, the public defender di not dismiss me). I have relayed the trial story to several officers I know. They all said the same thing. If bumped at a light, especially in a bad area, immediately call 911 and get going! Tell the dispatcher the circumstances, and that you do not feel safe stopping. Give your location and stay on the line until you have eye contact with the dispatched police vehicle. If you call 911, you will NOT be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Apparently these "bumping" incidents are very common!

Somewhat related to this
by gozer  (2021-09-29 14:48:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back when my dad had a job where some people threatened him (nothing too serious, he was in labor relations and when a union contract was under negotiation sometimes someone would make a phone call in the middle of the night) he had a few meetings with a security consultant. The thing I remember him telling me is to always leave enough room at a stoplight that you can get around the car in front of you. Rule of thumb was make sure you can see their wheels. Then if someone gets out in a threatening manner you can just go forward.

Around my house, I mostly just have to worry about bears breaking into the car in the drive for a snack. And I’m a little leery of going outside after dark these days because there’s a mountain lion den a couple hundred yards over the hill. Never seen them myself but one morning last winter I found a dead deer on the ice in my pond 50 feet from the front door.

There is some very good and simple advice in your post.
by milhouse  (2021-09-29 17:45:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you are far enough back that you can see the bottom of the wheels of the car in front of you at a stoplight, then you have enough room to pull around them if something goes haywire.

That is basic "driving in dangerous Third World country" advice, and it applies equally when you're on the wrong side of the tracks here.

Agree 100% - this is what I meant by Iraq training kicking i
by airborneirish  (2021-09-29 15:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I migrate to the middle of the road and keep a few car lengths back. This is an old habit from getting blown up multiple times by cars, something in the curb etc but it is as safe a posture as you can take.

Similar to moffs story. Good point to share. *
by airborneirish  (2021-09-29 14:39:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for pointing out Moff's post...
by NotraDom77  (2021-09-29 18:59:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your post has gotten many replies and I did not read them all. Yes, it is similar. I will reply to his comment about purchasing guns in NJ as well. Trouble is that in NJ, a loaded gun in the passenger compartment is a major weapons offense. I do keep a couple in the house however. Nice area, but just today police were canvassing our neighborhood due to a home break in nearby. As my cop friends have told me, "We are not the first responders. YOU are!" Your are living (thankfully) proof of that. Your response and Rudy's, may have saved our lives.

That's terrifying.
by potatohouse  (2021-09-29 10:27:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So glad you made it out physically unscathed (Rudy, too!). I'm terribly sorry that this will clearly have you rethink you entire living situation. That is such a stressful disruption. I know you touched on it, but certainly do not allow the mental/psychological/emotional trauma to get brushed under the rug. Talk with someone if you need to. Don't try to shoulder burdens you don't have to.

And I echo the thanks for turning your awful encounter into a shared lesson. It's easy to get complacent or cavalier about such things. When I was in town this past weekend and down in Chicago Lawn at my buddy's restaurant, we were joking about how shook people get. It's obviously a bad area but the stories of people being too afraid to even make the trip (or literally sprinting back and forth from the door to their car when picking up) had me laughing and rolling my eyes. But your story is good reminder that shit can and will happen. The pendulum can easily swing too far.

Take care of yourself.

You are a cool customer. I would soil my britches. *
by Shifty  (2021-09-29 10:14:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well Written
by REDLINECCL (click here to email the poster)  (2021-09-29 09:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your post was extremely well written. I'm not sure how to contact you except by putting a reply in your post and I hope it's appropriate. I have a lot of friends in your area and it is unfortunate how much crime has increased in Old Town and the Gold Coast. Frankly, it sucks. We use to really enjoy going out over there and have really cut back. I am not sure how to respond to people when they talk about how they don't feel safe. Like you, I am not going into politics but I am happy to hear you are ok. It hasn't gone as well for a lot of people over there.

Anyway, I do lots of safety / situational awareness talks and yours would be a great example (I have one coming up for a small group by you in November). Unlike most people, you felt something was wrong and noticed it beforehand. I just reviewed 15 recent videos and 13 of them could have been prevented had the damn people got off their cell and locked their car door. Not sure if you saw the video of the people in your area that tried to pull the carjacker out of the car and kick his a... (pretty funny) Could we talk and if so how do we swap info? I'd even stop by Wells St buy the drinks, and bring Rudy some snacks.

Thanks, Brian

BTW we had a couple of Schnauzers when I was a kid and those little guys can be pretty protective. Hope you gave him some extra treats.

Wow. Rudy getting extra walks and treats! Issues everywhere
by sirket  (2021-09-29 09:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That dog is going to be pampered for awhile! It’s happening everywhere. Really isn’t a way to personally prevent it. I’ve circled my block a couple times when I thought I was being followed. Have also done a couple rapid, no signal turns but at some point you have to exit your car.

Can’t seem to escape it. We just moved from Wicker Park to the western suburbs a couple months ago partially due to violence and carjackings in the area. Last week there was a carjacking right outside our old house.

On Monday there were 10 cop cars, a helicopter hovering and canines on my block as I was pulling up to my suburban home. ISP chased a carjacker from 290 to 294 into our neighborhood .He ditched the car, ran and tried to hide in a neighbors garage. Gun and bunch of money recovered. Yesterday, DuPage County charged 7 felony counts and set a $1 million bail. Bad luck for that guy: if he had only turned 2 blocks east on County Line Road…

Very happy you’re okay but sorry you experienced it *
by acrossdmiddle  (2021-09-29 08:43:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really happy you're okay, man
by ndzippy  (2021-09-28 23:19:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've spent the last hour wondering how I would have handled things, and I still don't have a good answer.

However, after years of fighting my wife on the topic of getting a dog, I may finally be ready to give in.

The scariest thing about your post
by WilfordBrimley  (2021-09-28 21:09:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that you're 41 years old.

Glad you're safe, brother.

My 40th birthday was during lockdown
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 21:11:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I’m permanently 39

Well, crap. Mine was just as lockdowns were starting. *
by bc_nd  (2021-09-29 12:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm part of this club too
by captaineclectic  (2021-09-29 10:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, if we can stretch "lockdown" into last month.

By the way, it's someone else's big day today ...

So was mine.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-09-29 09:27:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had one friend and his wife and kids over for my birthday dinner, they all got Covid from their nanny the day prior, unbeknownst to us, and I had to quarantine for two weeks (no one in my house got it, at least).

Brilliant fucking birthday.

At least my wife finally managed to get me a chocolate chip cookie celebration cake from Baskin Robins after failing to pull it off the three years prior.

Yeah
by Molly Maguires  (2021-09-29 06:10:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes two of us. This getting old shit is dumb.

We were trained that complacency kills.

We were not trained to be hypervigilant at home.

Glad you're okay, dude.

Being hyper-vigilant is super draining...
by NavyJoe  (2021-09-29 08:39:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...if I had to be that at home, I would not be in a good mental spot.

Tell me about it...
by ewillND  (2021-10-02 14:40:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every woman you know, everywhere after dark.

You and Jack Benny.
by The Holtz Room  (2021-09-28 21:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a joke for sprack and anyone from Waukegan.

Let me join the chorus of those thankful for the outcome.
by Moff  (2021-09-28 20:55:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've posted before about the time were likely about to get car jacked or worse. It was circa 1993, and the then fiancé and I and two long time buddies drove from NJ to Norwalk, Ct for another buddy's party. We got there early because one of the guys I drove up there with wanted to go to a "full auto shoot" somewhere in Bridgeport. We went, fired tommy guns, Uzis, etc. While driving back to 95 on some deserted side street that had a bunch of stop lights, I notice a car in my rearview mirror with a couple of guys in the front seats. They drove up behind me pretty quickly but then slowed down, keeping a few car lengths back, going my same speed. There wasn't another car on the road and there was another wide open lane on my left but they didn't pass. I slowed down to see if they would go around they didn't. We went from light to light getting closer to 95. Finally at one, they stopped behind me and then gently rolled into my rear bumper. There was no look of surprise on their faces as I watched them in the mirror while they did it. No reaction at all. The fiancé and the two friends were talking and were oblivious until the impact. The two high school friends then suddenly said "WTF?" and threw their rear doors open and started to get out to look at any damage and I immediately snarled at them to "Get the fuck back in the car NOW!" They immediately obliged but then said "what's up?" as I punched it and took off for 95, rolling the remaining lights. When we got back to my friend's house in Norwalk, he just said, "Yup, you were going to get car jacked. That's been happened just like that a lot lately there." I didn't enjoy working in Newark, NJ for years, but it was good training for situational awareness traversing similar neighborhoods taking the shortcut to Rt 78 West (once having my car hit with something I hope was just a really fast moving rock).

Again, really glad you're okay. I'm a cat guy so no heroics expected from them. My kids are all pushing 20 or older now so I recently felt okay with buying a S&W .357 Magnum revolver and a Sig Sauer P320 9mm. Probably more likely to get hit by lightning than ever need them, but...

Everyone should read this post
by NotraDom77  (2021-09-29 19:07:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey Moff, you are spot on with the way you handled the situation and for being observant. See my post above about my experience as a juror in a carjacking trial in Newark. We must live in the same area. The problem with NJ gun laws is that having a loaded gun in your car is a major crime here unless you have a concealed carry permit. And unless you are active and certified retired law enforcement, they are VERY hard to get in this state.
However, like you I have a .357 revolver and 9mm that I keep in the house. We should hit the range sometime. As my police friends have told me,
"We are not the first responders. YOU are!"

Holy sh!t! Glad you are OK. Yay Rudy and all schnauzers! *
by Moose84  (2021-09-28 20:06:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm glad you are okay and not to make light
by LocalSubAlum  (2021-09-28 19:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the situation, but I laughed out loud at your 11 pound Miniature Schnauzer scaring off the attacker. Good for Rudy, but play it safe and get a Great Pyrenees.

Wow. Glad it turned out for the better...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-09-28 19:31:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I hope you don't mind my having shared it with my wife and daughters. This is not what life in the big city should be.

Glad you, and Rudy, and your family are safe! *
by Endthecursein05  (2021-09-28 19:12:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very, very glad you're ok.
by goirish89  (2021-09-28 18:05:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry this happened.

Chicago--yikes.

Glad everything turned out well
by builderbob  (2021-09-28 17:58:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's sad what is going on in downtown Chicago. We personally know 3 people including my sons college roommate either carjacked or robbed at gunpoint in the last 4 months. This isn't just happening in Humboldt Park either.

Good things to remember for me.
by revressbo  (2021-09-28 17:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t live too far from you (just on the other side of North, a bit further west, near North/Clybourn/Halsted intersection). I have a parking spot in the alley right behind my condo, that’s uncovered/ungaraged. While I love the convenience of a guaranteed spot right outside my place (never have to worry about finding a spot, nice to not have to walk far in bad weather, etc.), I almost sometimes wonder if I’d be better served not parking in a semi-secluded place like an alley, in particular since my spot is out in the open, and perhaps someone could “stalk” my spot for days/weeks and know that car is mine, and attack when it’s vulnerable.

I generally try, especially at night, to not idle in my car, and immediately get inside right when I park. I’m not “afraid” but there’s no reason to not be vigilant, just in case. I previously hadn’t been worried about things when just driving around the streets, but with reading about some of the recent carjacking “techniques” along with your current post, it’s starting to be something I also keep an eye out for more frequently, so thank you for the words of advice.

I hope you’re doing okay, and that you don’t feel weak or that something is wrong with you if this sticks with you for a while.

That's crazy. Glad you and your family are safe.
by BottleofRed  (2021-09-28 17:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a good list of safety precautions to share with my sons since they're approaching driving.

Told my wife this story, she said she heard it on SD radio
by ballb4all  (2021-09-28 17:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This AM in the car. DJs were complimentary of your hound.

Damn scary. Glad you and the family are alright.

One other lesson: FP means fleet plate
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 16:53:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I knew that I would have been even more alert.

I've thought about being in that situation and would drive
by Jvan  (2021-09-28 16:24:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to the police station instead of going home. Once you stop and get out of the car, you're vulnerable.

I have also given it some thought.
by Bruno95  (2021-09-28 18:54:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have two dogs with me at all time. One would be a real dog, because dogs rule. The other would look like a dog, but it would actually be a bunch of dead birds (ones I found, not ones I killed) duct-taped around a homemade bomb full of pubes and nails, with fur duct-taped around the exterior of the whole package. It would not look a lot like a dog, but I would try to give it eyes.

If a couple punks wanted smoke, I'd drive them to the parking lot of a former dollar store in Kankakee, right off I-57. That parking lot is enormous and vacant. I'd slow to a stop, let them get out, then yell, "I think my fuckin' dog died!" I'd toss it out the window. They'd get close then say "it's a ball of fur duc---" then I'd hit the trigger button. Nails would puncture their bodies, and the pubes would float around in the air. My real dog and I would be laughing our asses off, mainly at the second part.

Of course, you like to think you'd be that calm in the moment.

You're the best.
by potatohouse  (2021-09-29 10:31:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That fastball still clocks.

Not to ask an indelicate question
by OGerry  (2021-09-29 09:46:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but where might one harvest such an abundance of curly follicles? I have a cousin through marriage who lives in a dangerous neighborhood and may need to know.

My wife was not awakened by her alarm this AM
by El Kabong  (2021-09-29 09:02:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was awakened by me laughing my ass off at this.

HOF post.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2021-09-28 23:59:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a perfect complement to the original post.

I needed a laugh today
by Fifthhorseman  (2021-09-28 21:00:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And you delivered

You are an NDNation treasure. *
by jakam31  (2021-09-28 19:27:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Funny thing. I know that parking lot. It was a K-Mart LONG
by The Holtz Room  (2021-09-28 19:11:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ago.

Then held the swap meet.

Amazing *
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 19:02:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where do you come up with this? *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-09-28 18:56:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you really want the answer? *
by cujays96  (2021-09-29 08:45:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prays of thanksgiving that things didn’t go worse for you
by tar  (2021-09-28 16:23:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobody is safe. The police can’t protect us. We should all evaluate the things we can do to protect ourselves and our families (including everything you listed as well as arming ourselves)

Rudy the wonder dog. Glad things turned out OK *
by Santos L Halper  (2021-09-28 16:11:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ah what a great dag, he is. *
by Inigomontoya  (2021-09-28 16:28:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bill Murray on dogs:
by irishrock  (2021-09-28 16:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person.”

I have a T shirt that says....
by Marine Domer  (2021-09-28 16:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"If my dog doesn't like you, I won't like you."

I bet you would
by irishrock  (2021-09-28 16:16:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know too many people who love dogs more than you.

Very true, as I await a call from the vet....
by Marine Domer  (2021-09-28 16:25:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about my older beagle's heart.

My beagle’s having heart issues too.
by kormal  (2021-09-28 17:26:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are such sweet, loving hounds. Just the best dogs.

I hope things turn out well for yours.

Thank you. My wife got me hooked on beagles....
by Marine Domer  (2021-09-28 17:32:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They don't call them "merry" little hounds for nothing. They can be a pain at times, but they are always so full of joy and mischief. We adopted Molly 11 years ago, and she has been a great dog. Hope to have her for a couple more.

best of luck...a loyal dog is one of life's true blessings
by irishrock  (2021-09-28 16:47:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've posted this one before, hopefully your dog is okay

Thank you. Great poem. She has congestive heart failure...
by Marine Domer  (2021-09-28 17:07:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can be treated medically, but question is for how long and how effectively. Believe it or not, they treat it with Viagra. [Let the jokes begin.]

So it's one vet to another then. *
by PWK2  (2021-09-28 16:43:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see what you did there. *
by Marine Domer  (2021-09-28 17:04:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely glad you're ok. Glad the response was quick
by ravenium  (2021-09-28 15:53:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though Rudy is still the hero we all need.

Out here we have a far more significant problem of the cops (for a variety of reasons, but most noticeably understaffing) not showing up for 20-30 minutes, taking a statement, then leaving. People have to look for their own stolen cars a lot of times, only to find them in makeshift chop shops in the industrial wetland area north of us.

I'm sure my hopes are misplaces that with a license plate and description they'd find something, but I'm guessing the car was itself stolen?

The mrs makes fun of me for keeping an eye on sketchy drivers, but I'd say this is why you do it (and did it!). This is also why I get *really* pissed at friends who think it's acceptable to flip off and brake check people (not related to your story, but in general to driving), because you just never know what kind of asshole is at the wheel.

There seems to be a rise in shitty human behaviors in general in the past few years. I hope it gets better.

RUDY RUDY RUDY RUDY RUDY *
by doug dascenzo  (2021-09-28 15:53:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Golf clap! *
by otters92  (2021-09-28 15:56:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually "slow clap" *
by ndaero93  (2021-09-28 17:16:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank God you all are safe. Dog, man’s best friend! *
by EmilT76  (2021-09-28 15:51:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow. Glad you’re ok. *
by MobileIrish  (2021-09-28 15:31:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm so sorry that happened to you
by reilly  (2021-09-28 15:13:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm impressed by your bravery, and by Rudy's. So many of the recommendations I've seen about safety are consistent with what you've advised - always trust your gut, and get a dog. Glad you're ok, and I hope you and your family are able to recover from the trauma of this event.

Good to hear OK. This is not the Chicago I moved to in
by Raoul  (2021-09-28 15:08:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

early 1994. I lived in Lincoln Park and drove around for 7 years. Walked around Twin Anchors at night all the time. One person had an incident in 7 years (held up on Belden at night). I worked in River North all that time and had no issues. Drove home on Larrabee through Cabrini Green daily. People walked down Chicago daily from the Borwn Line without incident.

It was only this past weekend that I read about "multiple car jackings a day" happening in Wicker Park and Ukranian Village. Now I read your post, which brings it to life even more.

This is sad.

P.S. A long time NDN poster I know who sold his Wilmette house and moved to the city a few years ago is giving up and leaving his Gold Coast place. This is just not acceptable.

Wow…Just…Wow. Glad you and your family are safe *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-09-28 15:04:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad you’re ok and thanks for sharing. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2021-09-28 15:01:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great advice and thanks for sharing. Glad you are ok.
by irishintheville  (2021-09-28 14:42:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure whereabout you live but I am sharing with my youngest daughter who lives in Avondale. She hasn't mentioned any problems in the past but you never know. She is required to go into the office once a week, which is inside the Loop and takes the train. My oldest went to grad school at Northwestern and had an apartment around Fullerton and Clark. She had to take the train to Evanston or downtown for night classes. We always texted with her on the way home to make sure she was safe. Not sure I would let her do that these days. That was about 8 years ago.

Glad you're safe...I'll buy your dog a beer when I see him *
by 206er  (2021-09-28 14:39:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad you're all right. Couple questions
by El Kabong  (2021-09-28 14:38:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you think the guys targeted you specifically (e.g. knew you lived in the area), or were they trolling and you happened to get caught in the net?

Would one solution have been to make a turn without signalling since they were in front of you and try to get out of the area?

Trolling. They hit three people including me in 20 minutes
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 14:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How and when I turned would not have mattered. They waited a minute to follow me down the alley. Thought I linked to the article but they are suspects in same sort of hits in buck town last week.

The ride from target to my garage is around 5 minutes. They had just hit someone 1/4 mile in the opposite direction. Just bad luck. There wasn't even a need to go make the pick up at target.

Holy shit. Thank goodness you are safe *
by Ty Webb  (2021-09-28 14:36:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Curious, do you have firearms in the house? *
by Inigomontoya  (2021-09-28 14:34:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 15:42:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I prescribe to that as well. Got rid of it after first born. *
by Inigomontoya  (2021-09-28 16:27:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ok, I read that as "got rid OF the first born" *
by 88_92WSND  (2021-09-28 17:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow. Echoing those below, glad you're ok. Advice accepted. *
by knutesteen  (2021-09-28 14:33:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Article Reference
by jh_chi  (2021-09-28 14:29:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is this referencing you on Cleveland? I used to live near one of the other two locations in the article at N. North Park. Glad you are OK.

Yes these are the guys *
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 14:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

25 years ago I lived at 2019 N. Cleveland....
by Marine Domer  (2021-09-28 17:04:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My street was safer then, though the 1400 block of Cleveland was not.

Other two people hit were at 1900 Howe and by twin anchors
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 18:53:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both areas I considered buying in. We will have to figure out what we're doing for the long run. We have a former neighbor who just built on burling next to Oz. There was a shooting there two weeks ago during a memorial for a guy killed on Hudson.

We need a change of leadership in this city but at this point I'm not sure I want to invest anything else here. My main problem is I looked at other towns and there is no where else I want to live and I"m kind of stuck in Chicagoland.

Life is better in DuPage County. *
by Marine Domer  (2021-09-29 15:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy crap! Glad you and the family are ok.
by The Holtz Room  (2021-09-28 14:25:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sometimes I miss living downtown, but stories about the current climate there make that a fleeting memory.

Again, glad everyone is safe!

The good news is that you and Rudy are ok! One ...
by Barney68  (2021-09-28 14:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hell of a story, one I'm sorry you ended up being able to tell.

Stay safe!

I *think* you meant that differently than you wrote it. *
by milhouse  (2021-09-28 17:34:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself.
by flapjack  (2021-09-28 14:19:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember feeling incredibly violated when someone broke into my car in the driveway (watched the video the next day). I can't fathom the way I'd feel if I'd been held at gunpoint.

Don't be shy about seeking professional counseling.

Wow glad youre ok
by actionman  (2021-09-28 14:06:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thats a hell of an adventure for a Monday evening. Glad you and fam are ok

Rudy def earned a steak!

Glad you're ok.
by Nyirish08  (2021-09-28 13:55:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember AZDomer posting an attempted carjacking once.

Amazing to think a guy with a gun was scared off by a 10 pound barking dog.

Miniature schnauzer, gargantuan balls.
by 105Marquette  (2021-09-28 13:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My lab would've either run for his life or hoped the gun was toy for the guy to throw. Useless either way.

Horrible story. Great ending. Glad you're safe. That dog
by RagingBull  (2021-09-28 13:28:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

deserves a beer and a steak. I think #1 is key for those who do notice their surroundings. If it feels wrong it usually is.

I have a miniature schnauzer - Lucy.
by emd811  (2021-09-28 13:28:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She is not nearly this brave, so props to Rudy! Let me know when he issues a training video.

So glad to hear you are all okay and that Rudy is home safe.

Damn, that's crazy. Always listen to your fear, folks.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-09-28 13:26:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Human intuition is powerful and mysterious.

Good advice, ABI.

Happy you are safe *
by saintapollonia  (2021-09-28 13:25:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad that you are okay.
by EricCartman  (2021-09-28 13:23:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plenty of room down here in NC. You're welcome to join us.

Yikes dude. Glad you're ok.
by LondonDomer  (2021-09-28 13:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can't believe they were more scared of an 11 pound schnauzer than a 6'3 former Army paratrooper who deadlifts 500 pounds.

Glad the situation didn't end worse. Scary stuff.

It’s the little dogs who are nasty little cusses
by gozer  (2021-09-28 14:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My 7 month old puppy is up to about 75-80 pounds and clearly wouldn’t hurt a fly (though he’d probably love to chase down a rabbit given the chance) whereas my 20 pound idiot dog will try to rip your face off if you make the dual mistakes of being near him and not being me or my family. Can’t take him for a walk without him trying to eat the neighbor’s horses

Hah I did have my 82nd shirt on and was calm / tried to take
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 13:30:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Control. But yeah the guy didn’t care enough until Rudy was on him.

glad you are ok. Crazy story. *
by DBCooper  (2021-09-28 13:16:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow, I’m sorry you’ve been through that.
by irishsundevil  (2021-09-28 13:15:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a hell of a story that reminds me of a similar experience by someone I know. I’m glad you and your family are ok. I know your sentiments about Chicago. This cannot be any worse of an experience. Hope things improve for you.

My friend used to live in Ukrainian Village. He was also confronted in his garage by an attacker. The suspect was wearing a handkerchief over his mouth and nose with a gun in his waistband. He demanded my friend’s belongings which were in the car. After reaching in the car and tossing his wallet to the suspect my friend had the bright idea of fight not flight.

They began to tussle in the garage. My friend had a considerable size advantage on the guy. During the altercation the gun fell on the ground away from both of them. At one point my brother had his arms wrapped around the suspects legs. The suspect wiggled out of his pants and ran into an awaiting car. The car took off down the alley and came to an intersection with a light. They blew a red light and were T-boned. The suspects jumped out of the damaged car and ran into a second car where they took off. Naturally the damaged car was stolen.

We have several friends and family on CPD. Thanks to a high ranking connection an entire forensics team was sent out because my friend drew blood from the suspect. Nearly a year later my friend received a call from the detective on his case. The suspect had been arrested a few weeks after the attempted robbery for an unrelated case. He had been in jail for months when DNA tests indicated he was also involved with the attempted robber. The additional charges were added on top of whatever other offense the guy had. It jarred my friends wife and rightly so. Luckily no other problems arose but they moved to a different part of the city for unrelated reasons.

So glad you are okay. Did they take your belongings? *
by SMC1984  (2021-09-28 13:15:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No they left them behind and didn’t harm Rudy. *
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 13:28:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In your text last night Rudy was 9 lbs
by mintirish  (2021-09-28 13:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

apparently 11 pounds today - story doesn't check out.

You said to feed him a steak. *
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 13:26:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His balls grew by 2lbs *
by irishsundevil  (2021-09-28 13:20:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well done, sir. *
by Moose84  (2021-09-28 20:15:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm very glad you and your family are safe
by baronbutler (click here to email the poster)  (2021-09-28 13:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That must have been terrifying and it sounds like you kept your cool and should be commended for that. I'm a Chicago City resident in an area that has had a significant number of carjackings lately and appreciate the advice as well. You may want to consider therapy for the kids or yourself concerning the trauma, and I may be able to help with a recommendation so if you think that is something you might need, I have included my email.

Glad you're okay, buddy.
by Rockbrig97  (2021-09-28 13:12:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a scary experience. Hugs to your family.

One of my city nightmares.
by CMillar  (2021-09-28 13:11:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Outside of being shot like a dog, that and a more generic street mugging are the things I worry about most.

We've been here for over 20 years but I always had it in the back of my mind that one really bad experience like that would chase us out of the city.

Hope you can recover, man. I can't imagine how hard this is.

Glad you're ok *
by SoCaliDomer  (2021-09-28 13:06:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yikes, glad you're ok
by Smokin_Clover  (2021-09-28 13:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Feed that dog some steak.

Holy
by VTND  (2021-09-28 13:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shit!
I'm so glad you and your family are OK. Unbelievable. I'm sorry this happened to you. Thank god it didn't end up much, much worse, for you and your poor dog.

Holy crap. I'm glad you're OK. *
by milhouse  (2021-09-28 13:04:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry to read this post, but glad you and Rudy are both ok.
by ndroman21  (2021-09-28 13:03:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From a preparation standpoint, would closing the overhead door immediately after parking have stopped them? I don't recall the entry/exit points from your garage.

Normally I do that. I was in the process of doing so *
by airborneirish  (2021-09-28 13:08:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yow. Glad you're okay.
by PWK2  (2021-09-28 13:03:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reason number million to live in the suburbs.