Hey, Jurassic - re: NOLA
by ndtnguy (2022-01-24 13:09:19)

I saw your New Orleans hotel inquiry on the next page.

We stayed at the Pontchartrain in October. It was comfortable, and the rooftop bar is pretty great. There is a trolley stop right outside, so it's easy to hop a car into town or farther out in the Garden District if you're going to, say, Commander's Palace. It might be the best value among New Orlean's boutique hotels just in terms of the ratio of price to comfort.

But.

The place has been rehabbed in recent years by a big boutique hotel operator. And the service sucks. (It sucked in another of this outfit's hotels in another state.) There's nothing remotely resembling a concierge, so if you want help finding something, or need something taken care of (e.g., shoes shined), you're 100% on your own (and I am speaking of availability, not price). The operator's model is evidently to hire inexperienced staff and hope that millennials will prefer cool visuals to service. I wrote the management group after we returned from New Orleans and told them I thought their business model sucked and that I would be avoiding their establishments in the future.

If I were going back I would, I think, suck it up on the price and book Maison de la Luz.

(My comments do not apply to the bar staff upstairs or down at the Ponchartrain, all of whom were very good.)

What is the management company? *
by ACross  (2022-01-24 13:33:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aparium (link)
by ndtnguy  (2022-01-24 14:44:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thx for this. *
by Jurassic  (2022-01-24 13:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post