Why I'm glad I was at ND when they admitted women...
by Kbyrnes (2022-01-24 18:22:45)
Edited on 2022-01-24 20:56:17

...Exhibit 1 (click the pic for more):

Sister Jean Lenz, born on the south side of Chicago, educated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame at Longwood Academy (aka Academy of Our Lady) on 95th Street, and graduated from the College of St. Francis in Joliet, IL, where she heard a call to religious life and eventually became rector of Farley Hall when ND women first moved there. Her time was memorialized in her book, Loyal Sons and Daughters, which she signed for us at a campus event we attended with our younger daughter, then 6 years old, writing, "Dear A__, hope you will come our way some day." A__ did, and by happenstance was assigned to Farley Hall. Sister Jean had died in 2012, 3 years earlier.

Sister Jean was very active not only as a hall rector but in campus ministry; her positive effect on that early generation of female Domers has been testified to many times, revealing an empathetic person devoted to the service of others.

(EDIT: I had originally made a reference to a post made earlier today, which is now neither here nor there.)

OTOH, they admitted my ex. This made a lot of people very
by BigBadBrewer  (2022-01-25 04:48:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Great post! I agree. I met my wife at Farley while Sr. Jean
by drmurray  (2022-01-24 20:45:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was rector.

She was very polite and gracious when she evicted me for violating numerous rules... I actually felt guilty about it.

She was an amazing person.

I have no idea about any post this was inspired by. I just have long admired Sr. Jean, and the women at ND.

The feeling was mutual, I can only presume *
by ACross  (2022-01-24 20:17:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post