Hey BI, i am eating at a place with 8 different bottlings
by ACross (2022-01-24 20:03:09)
Edited on 2022-01-24 20:08:16

Of Turley Zinfandel. All for under 75.

I opted for t the Howell Mountain Cedarman. Oops they are out. So I went with Buck Cobb Amador. As opposed to amadur. They also have Hayne Petite Sirah but it is over $100.

I like Zinfandel. Especially this maker. Same price as most people pay for plonk like Meiomi or the Prisoner.

Great!
by BeijingIrish  (2022-01-25 10:31:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The kids and Dr. Turley appreciate the support.

I think they're up to 38 different bottlings now. They lost Salvador in Contra Costa County which is a big shame--historic old vineyard was sold to developers. What's fun is to buy a bottle from one of the vineyards in Sonoma or Napa; a bottle from Amador, say Judge Bell; one of the Lodi bottlings, e.g., Dog Town; and one from Paso Robles, e.g., Ueberroth. Taste them all and compare what the different terroir and climate yields.

Are you a cigar guy at all BI?
by The Holtz Room  (2022-01-25 10:50:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Between your travel and what goes into wine, I could see you as a fan of cigars as well.

Not at all.
by BeijingIrish  (2022-01-25 11:14:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even if I were, my wife doesn't like them. End of discussion.

Got it.
by The Holtz Room  (2022-01-25 11:33:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As you appreciate what goes into food and wine I wondered if that applied to the cigar world.

Happy wife, happy life.

We went through three bottles with my in-laws Saturday night
by T_Allen  (2022-01-24 22:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Fredericks is my favorite.

You’re really upgrading the oenophile room. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2022-01-24 22:03:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was a hanging curveball. *
by MobileIrish  (2022-01-24 22:22:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hayne Vineyard is the primo stuff *
by Jvan  (2022-01-24 21:29:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's interesting, isn't it,
by BeijingIrish  (2022-01-25 11:22:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that a label's best wine, a label known for producing superior Zinfandels, is Hayne Vineyard Petite Syrah. Parker gave the 2018 version 98 points. SIL thinks Petite Syrah is a vastly underrated varietal.

Pairs well with a coney dog. *
by Lwegs  (2022-01-24 21:22:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Turley, Robert Biale, Ridge and Seghesio
by IrishNYCA  (2022-01-24 21:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are my favorite zins. All reasonably priced. Vertical tastings of Biale or Turley are great. Lots of vineyard designated bottlings.

If you like Seghesio
by mitquinn  (2022-01-24 21:44:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look for Sbragia Nonno’s Red.

I like Earthquake zin…..
by irishguard78  (2022-01-25 10:29:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stumbled on it one day. It’s a nice table wine for when you sit at home and don’t feel like opening a good bottle of something else

Dry Creek and Klinker Brick are also good ones
by 11thfloorgrace  (2022-01-25 10:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for regular consumption that are easy on the wallet.

Besides Turley, Ridge, and Seghesio, another favorite zin is Martinelli, though it is on the pricey side. Had a Martinelli Giuseppe & Luisa zin last weekend that was great.

One of my favorites *
by Jvan  (2022-01-24 21:46:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would add Bedrock to the list of well priced, well made
by ACross  (2022-01-24 21:46:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zinfandel.

Perhaps my favorite besides Turley is A Rafanelli

Good call--SIL thinks Morgan Twain-Peterson
by BeijingIrish  (2022-01-25 11:27:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is his main competitor. Bedrock is delicious.

That’s where the hipsters go. Twitch Twitch (link)
by Moff  (2022-01-24 21:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good stuff...
by Kbyrnes  (2022-01-24 20:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I also like Sandlands, which is the personal vineyard operation of Turley's director of winemaking.

Sandlands is excellent *
by El Kabong  (2022-01-25 08:12:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m a member of Turley
by dulac89  (2022-01-24 20:38:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are usually pretty good at allowing me to occasionally ship a box to friends if you’re interested. When we are visiting friends out of town I will often have a box shipped ahead of time as thank you for hosting us and to have good wine to enjoy while there

I thought when you said 8 different bottlings
by Nut  (2022-01-24 20:38:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you were going to finish with "chicken wing sauce." And I thought you were eating at a local BW3, but then I realized that's insane. There's no UFC fight tonight that I'm aware of.

Is your first name Process, perchance? *
by ACross  (2022-01-24 20:43:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just jealous
by Nut  (2022-01-25 08:20:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My last glass of wine was at Makan in DC. I learned a lesson in dormant allergies. Now I'm stuck with prolish beer and whiskey.

The current ones in market have been excellent
by mitquinn  (2022-01-24 20:36:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Old Vines, Juvenile and Stacy Ranch stood out to me.

Pair it with the pasta al diavolo.
by The Holtz Room  (2022-01-24 20:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or is eye-talian too “ethnic”?

I kid.

Bon appétit!

I am in Carl Spackler's aspirational locale *
by ACross  (2022-01-24 20:35:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post