Agreed that their software excels currently
by hayesman_ (2022-01-25 12:22:23)

In reply to: I think you somewhat answered your own question.  posted by Queensman

However the mileage estimate on my “only made for EV credits” VW e-golf is very accurate with it’s range. It’s very nice that the Tesla’s will plan your route with stops for charging.

I guess my concern lies in their ability to innovate beyond what they already have. Carbon sleeving to shave a couple tenths off a 0-60 time doesn’t mean anything to the general public. It’s also just improving upon a motor that’s a decade old. Sure, GM was putting the iron duke into cars for 25 years but it’s horrible efficiency lead to them getting passed by Asian automakers when consumers wanted better fuel economy. Then they got complacent (Honda mainly) failing to adapt to more stringent emissions rules when everyone got better at forced induction. In my mind Tesla has hung their hat on a modular chassis they have little interest in updating, along with an aging motor. This while still relying on Samsung cells for the batteries who’s modules haven’t been changed for 5+ years. The biggest innovation they could be doing is figuring out how to reduce prices as they scale yet due to increased demand they’re doing the opposite. I just worry that eventually people will discover that there are other options.

And yes, the Tesla supercharging network is probably the best decision Elon musk has made, but with 850ish stations and sales like they’ve had recently, those eventually become crowded and less useful. There’s also a lot of misinformation regarding charge times like Tesla has a secret sauce…an electrify america station can charge a lucid quicker than a Tesla. And due to battery construction and management, after 20-30 minutes on a level 3 charger, everything becomes equal across makes/models/platforms