The concept you raise is very reasonable...
by Kbyrnes (2022-05-25 09:05:21)

In reply to: But the high gas prices lead to higher prices on everything.  posted by dvpgm

...Certainly higher prices for refined petroleum products usually makes other things more expensive; I'm not sure I've seen that it's in the range of $370 a month for an average household, but that depends on what they buy.

Not to be too glib, but beans, rice, and everyday fruits and vegetables aren't all that expensive. For example, the BLS indicates that the average price of bananas has increased in three years by about 5%. "Other fresh vegetables" are up about 6%. Other items, particularly those that require significant animal husbandry and/or processing like beef, pork, poultry, eggs, and processed canned goods, are up significantly more, part of the price we pay for eating what I call "industrialized food." (Yes, I like a slider or a bag of Doritos every so often too.)

Take eggs, for example. They're up something like 23% in the last three years. But a dozen eggs costs something like $2.50 to $3.00 depending on what part of the country you're in. A family of four that had an average of an egg a day for a 30-day month would spend about $22.50 to $30.00 on eggs, before sales taxes. In 2019 it would've been about $18.30 to $24.40; the difference of about $4 to $5.50 a month shouldn't be too oppressive on any family.

Inflation is a major issue--there's no evading that. But we should probably dig down and ask, what exactly costs more, and what does it say about our patterns of consumption?