Emory University.... insights please?
by southshoredawg (2022-05-25 11:09:07)

My son has found Emory in his college search. Our family has no connections or any ideas about the place.

Would love to hear anything on social, reputation, experience, majors, focus, etc

thanks.

Board *
by mkovac  (2022-05-26 11:22:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had a fun alumni softball team in DC circa mid 2000’s.
by CAFB4ND  (2022-05-26 11:07:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of their ladies caught the eye of one our guys. I don’t think it advanced past the cups table at the bar.

I married an Emory grad. She's ok, I guess. *
by smcdermo  (2022-05-26 10:04:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's me
by Catiemcd (click here to email the poster)  (2022-05-26 10:06:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

'01 Oxford, '04 Nursing. Happy to answer any questions your son may have. My email address is provided.

Son was admitted this year...
by Sonofadomer  (2022-05-26 09:14:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was admitted to their satellite campus in Oxford, GA. We went to an open house and left midway through. The students/prospective students we came in contact with during the open house did not appear well-rounded and the professors said to expect to study 2 hrs for every credit hour of class.

The Atlanta campus is impressive and the school is top notch with a very diverse student body. Based on what we heard and read, the Atlanta campus has strong Greek presence.

The "2 hours of studying per credit hour" is just an old saw
by FL_Irish  (2022-05-26 09:32:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't take it that seriously.

It's related to accreditation and law
by fontoknow  (2022-05-26 10:28:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not just an old saw.

But with little to no practical effect
by FL_Irish  (2022-05-26 10:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobody I know is designing syllabi with an eye toward ensuring 2 hours of studying per credit hour. How does one even measure that? Hence the DOE proposals to do away with that part of the credit-hour definition.

I actually do
by fontoknow  (2022-05-26 10:47:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though it's more of average. Some weeks will be heavier than others, but I try to assign four hours of work outside the class oer week on my syllabus.

You’re a better man than I am Gunga Din
by FL_Irish  (2022-05-26 11:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s probably the way things should work, but it’s just not what really happens in my experience. I have never once been part of a syllabus discussion in which the concept of two hours even came up. My sense is that most folks assign an amount necessary to achieve their learning objectives with some eye towards not overloading students but no specific thought to what it translates to in time.

I’m guessing there must be student survey data on this and I’d be curious to see what it shows. I certainly spent nowhere near two hour per credit on studying in the aggregate while at ND.

My learning objectives are based on this too
by fontoknow  (2022-05-26 11:21:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How much ground can I cover in 36 hours of lectures and 72 hours of outside of class time?

It is even more important if you've tried to flip a classroom.

Rich kids. Great academics. No sports of consequence
by acrossdmiddle  (2022-05-25 19:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A close friend’s daughter went there, had a great experience, and got a great job (in I-banking) afterwards. You could do a hell of a lot worse.

My grandson is enrolling in the Fall
by ufl  (2022-05-25 18:05:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other than that I have little to offer.

My wife’s cousin is an Exec. VP there having moved
by Moff  (2022-05-25 15:31:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there from Georgetown. He digs it. I’ve always thought it had an excellent reputation.

I think I went to high school with your wife’s cousin you
by namurtha  (2022-05-25 19:55:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

referenced in your post, but I haven’t seen him in years. If I am correct, my condolences to your wife on the recent passing of her cousin Vince.

Binghamton/Johnson City area?
by Moff  (2022-05-25 19:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We see him now and then. We see his sister more often as she lives near us in NJ and is now a Superior Court judge.

Just saw your edit and that is him. My wife thanks you for
by Moff  (2022-05-25 20:07:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the condolences. Vince was a real fighter. Their father, Gus, passed away not long before him and he was one of the funniest guys I've ever met. Their mom is a saint.

C was in my class; L was a couple of years older. I didn’t
by namurtha (click here to email the poster)  (2022-05-25 21:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

know Vince as he was born when I was in 8th grade, but I understand he was quite a fighter with all his struggles.
Next time you speak with C, ask him about the all you can eat wings at the Ground Round.

Btw, I live/work in NJ. If you’re near Morristown, maybe we could meet up for a beer sometime.

Will do and I work in Parsippany so we
by Moff (click here to email the poster)  (2022-05-25 21:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

should definitely meet up. E-mail included. And thanks for inspiring me. Your post made me reach out to their other cousin who lives around here to let him know that, despite my prior hemming and hawing, I am going to join them in driving up to Johnson City for a Make Wish golf outing in June. Years ago, Vince got to meet Michael Jordan through M.A.W. and the family is staying active in it. Will get to golf (and drink) with two of Vinnie's other brothers. Good times.

Sounds good. I work in Parsippany, too. Just looked at the
by namurtha  (2022-05-25 21:50:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

M.A.W golf venue. I used to play there in the summer during college when it was the Old Homestead through an IBM connection.

I’ll shoot you an email tomorrow.

This is an example of why the BR is so special. *
by kellykapowski  (2022-05-26 10:50:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wholeheartedly agree… It is through this board that I was
by Namurtha  (2022-05-26 14:12:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

able to put my Dad(‘49) in contact with Fred Leahy. I will forever cherish watching my Dad sit on my couch as he spoke with Fred on the phone and reminisced about my Dad’s time at ND, his working in the football office for Coach Leahy, delivering flowers to Mrs. Leahy the day after Fred’s birth, and telling/confirming with Fred stories about his Dad, Mom, and siblings.

The board also enabled me to meet Coach Parseghian for the second time - nearly 40 years after meeting him as a kid for the first time at a CYO dinner at the Fountain’s Pavilion, in coincidentally, Johnson City, NY

Man, those are tough acts to follow! *
by Moff  (2022-05-26 14:33:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gotta be careful who you meet from here!
by URwhatUR  (2022-05-26 16:20:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They might turn out to become family or lifelong friends!

I have a friend who played on their soccer team 5-10 years
by lespaulkevin  (2022-05-25 15:25:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ago when he was a student. He had nothing but good things to say about the place and the people.

For what it is worth, over the years, I have met several Emory graduates. I have never met one who wasn't intelligent or of anything but high character.

It's the number 1 school for a degree in abrasives. *
by LocalSubAlum  (2022-05-25 14:18:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would probably get board *
by 88_92WSND  (2022-05-26 07:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its law school produces excellent lawyers who also happen
by milhouse  (2022-05-25 13:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be highly intelligent and rakishly handsome.

I couldn’t agree more.
by Georgia Hog  (2022-05-25 18:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And as a Class of 94 Emory Law grad, I would know.

‘98 here. Nut, am I right that you're a graduate? *
by milhouse  (2022-05-25 22:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wasn't the dean's long time secretary Mike Mills' mom? *
by ND Trumpet  (2022-05-25 13:45:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so, I didn't know it. *
by milhouse  (2022-05-25 16:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps in the 80's. An Emory law alum I met used to get
by ND Trumpet  (2022-05-25 16:20:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

secret tips from her on pop up shows they would do in Athens.

I live about a mile from there and have been in Atlanta
by steez_nutz  (2022-05-25 13:04:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for about 25 years. I'll echo the other comments in that it is a good school with a great reputation. It straddles several neighborhoods, all of which are good so there should be no concerns with respect to safety or convenience to the rest of metro Atlanta. It's not very close to a MARTA train station, but it is on the MARTA bus route, and Emory has their own bus system, too. Assuming no significant traffic, it's probably 10 minutes to the Virginia-Highland neighborhood (by car), 10-15 minutes to downtown Decatur, 20 minutes to Midtown, 20-25 minutes to Buckhead, and 45 minutes to/from the airport (probably $50 cab fare from the airport). The kids are apparently pretty lame as there are no (zero, zip, nada) bars adjacent to campus, and barely any pizza joints.

Strong board *
by Father Nieuwland  (2022-05-25 12:05:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joe Niekro's a big fan. *
by 105Marquette  (2022-05-25 13:36:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well rounded summary. You nailed it. *
by flapjack  (2022-05-25 12:35:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm gonna file this away for later reference *
by baronbutler  (2022-05-25 13:08:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their grads have a lot of grit *
by jmac95  (2022-05-25 16:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but not as abrasive as you might expect.
by Moff  (2022-05-25 18:24:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oops, LSA beat me to it.

They'll never win the SEC *
by sprack  (2022-05-25 11:51:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their football team has never lost a game. *
by milhouse  (2022-05-25 12:35:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I graduated from Emory in the mid 90's
by baronbutler (click here to email the poster)  (2022-05-25 11:51:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is an excellent school academically (Congratulations!), with very strong science and pre-med undergrad and has a good business school and several other well respected majors. Socially, the Greek system was pretty significant, though I was independent and there were still plenty of options. I don't know how much all of that has changed as I'm not sure if people still even live in fraternity houses. Otherwise, I would be happy to discuss my experience from the distant past with you if you have any questions (email provided),

thanks.... this is helpful
by southshoredawg  (2022-05-25 12:38:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are in Boston so the NE angle might hurt him if filled with NY people already. We will visit.

They definitely draw a lot of people from the Northeast
by baronbutler  (2022-05-25 12:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If financial aid is an issue at all, they meet 100% of need based aid and I think primarily if not entirely through grants as opposed to loans. Everything JimboIrish says is true, with the campus being in a very safe and seemingly quaint part of the City. Facilities are also very impressive and they just finished a remodel of the student activities center.

Emory is an excellent school, especially academically
by Jimbo Irish  (2022-05-25 11:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am from Atlanta and currently live in the metro area, and I'd say Emory is the most highly regarded university in Georgia. As others have mentioned, most of the kids are not from Georgia (heavy New York / northeast presence). It's traditionally had a large Jewish enrollment, owing a lot to the fact that Atlanta has always had a really strong Jewish community, even back in the old days when most people would assume there would not be much tolerance. Overall, from my experience of their graduates, it's good mix of folks from different areas and provides opportunities on a national level.

The business school is top notch, as are any of the biomedical / public health programs. It has very tight connections to the CDC, and Emory University Med school is a top research institution.

I cant' speak much to the social life, but have never personally heard too many great things about that aspect. The area over in Decatur in sort of quaint for being an urban setting, but also is still very much urban in comparison to other colleges out there with what I'd call more idyllic settings (i.e. it's not a Notre Dame or UVA type campus).

Emory is a top-tier school
by dulac89  (2022-05-25 11:38:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We looked at Emory for my daughter. Great school, nice campus, convenient to Atlanta. Academically challenging. I jokingly consider it as one of the “northeast ivy league reject” schools. Like Wake Forest, where my daughter goes, there are a lot of students who had credentials to be considered for Ivy League schools But either didn’t quite make the cut or, as in many students from the Northeast, suffered from disproportionate number of applicants from their area.

Emory is well regarded and if your son has the credentials to get in I would strongly consider visiting it

If your son is interested in healthcare, the affiliated institutions are world class including the CDC

Fantastic school
by DBCooper  (2022-05-25 11:24:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

decent amount of NYC area kids go there. Very diverse student population. Pretty strong Greek life. Although you would think its a southern school its extremely diverse in where its students come from as well.

I had 2 very good friends go there. Neither white. Both enjoyed their time there, one too much unfortunately.

Emory has a very strong rep in NYC for the job front.

Emory is very well regarded
by reilly  (2022-05-25 11:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those I know who attended there have had great experiences with it.