Relative incomes are certainly changing
by KeoughCharles05 (2022-05-25 11:13:41)
Edited on 2022-05-25 12:04:37

In reply to: That doesn't really answer the question.  posted by squid

And the structures around how income can be generated is also changing. To answer your question of whether being a doctor is a great way to go get rich? I wouldn't make that bet now, given the declining leverage and negotiating power most docs have compared to the past. Regardless of what has happened so far, the trends are such that -- if they continue -- relative compensation for docs compared to other professions will decline.

My discussion of autonomy and the like was also about quality of life, which I thought might be relevant to your question, which I sort of read as "is this a good profession to go into?"

In terms of your last paragraph, I'd prefer that there be less top-down deciding about what "we" want, and allowing individuals to make that choice for themselves, when also faced with the relative costs of those decisions. Some people will want an experience more like an independent practice with relationship building and the like. Others will want the efficiency and corporatization and facelessness that comes with it being a big business. I think there should be room for both models, and it should be driven by consumer preference rather than political or expert choice about what "we" want.