To answer your questions
by 609StPeteST (2022-05-25 11:20:03)

In reply to: That doesn't really answer the question.  posted by squid

Are doctors less wealthy now?

Likely no, and the data supports that our incomes have competed with inflation.

https://www.mdlinx.com/physiciansense/is-it-better-to-be-a-doctor-now-than-it-was-50-years-ago/

However, there are increased pressures on overhead to maintain a private practice. Increased student loan debt (as discussed in the link), rising healthcare costs for employees (we have been seeing double digit premium increases), increased overhead to cover government mandates on reporting and EHR costs, increased staff to combat insurance company denials and prior authorizations, increased malpractice costs all trim at margins. In healthcare, I cannot simply pass on these costs to my patients, my rates are negotiated and set.

As to your "wants" - simply being an employed physician does nothing to ensure any of that. My partners and I practice evidence based medicine, are on call for our patients 24 hours a day, have direct in office access to at least 3 different healthcare systems EHRs and are intimately concerned with costs and ensuring value to our patients. Private practices and ambulatory surgery centers are some of the most efficient and cost-effective means to supply healthcare.