Pros: I think their clubs and tech is pretty good.
by LondonDomer (2022-08-08 10:28:38)
Edited on 2022-08-08 10:32:13

In reply to: Any PXG people out there? Reviews?  posted by SEE

Cons: I think the 0211's are nice looking but I hate the weights/screws all over the head on their other stuff. I find Bob Parsons and his whole "golf, but extreme" brand annoying. Those are both obviously very subjective.

But...everyone I know who has them loves them. With their lower prices, it's probably worth a look. Some of their stuff is still stupid expensive though -- like the Sugar Daddy wedges for $450 a piece -- nearly 3x the price of a Vokey SM9. GTFO.

I would be mildly interested in their irons. However, I would never build out a whole bag of PXG stuff. But, I wouldn't build a bag out of any one brand's equipment -- if you're getting fit, being pigeon-holed to only one brand doesn't make sense to me. In fact, I currently have five different brands in my bag (Taylormade driver, Callaway fairway woods, New Level Golf utility iron, Cobra irons, a Vokey and a Callaway wedge, and a Bettinardi putter).

My father's golf group went gaga over their price reductions
by Ty Webb  (2022-08-08 10:32:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My father has a group of 16 or so that play every weekend. When PXG was running their specials, guys were grabbing drivers, etc.

Most are actually disappointed with their choices.

If you look at some of the testing from places like Golf WRX, etc. PXGs seem to be no better or worse than the offerings from the big names like Callaway and Titleist and TaylorMade.

It was an odd move.
by LondonDomer  (2022-08-08 11:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For years, it seemed their model was built on a sort of exclusivity shaped by their pricing. "Yeah, our stuff is expensive but it's the best." Also, 'Merica.

Then they suddenly dropped their prices by a ton. So...what happened? Was it overpriced before? Did quality change? Certainly created some questions.

I have never seriously researched them because, like I said, I don't like their branding or club looks.

I believe the "Battle Ready Bat Attack" putter (eye roll) has gotten very good reviews from My Golf Spy.

It was odd
by Ty Webb  (2022-08-08 11:26:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They seemed to carve out a niche for your $150K initiation fee, country club types who would be willing to pay $5K for a set of exclusive clubs. I guess they realized that market wasn't as big as they had hoped?

I tried two of their drivers. Nothing special about either and weren't better than my current Callaway Mavrik.