Valve Index or HTC Vive
by GoldCoastIrish (2022-11-29 08:04:49)

In reply to: Does anyone have any recommendations for VR sets?  posted by dallas_subway

What is your use case? VR Gaming?

Both are supported by the Steam Store (Gamestop for digitally distributed PC games) in terms of buying VR games.

The Vive can work in the Metaverse if you so choose it.

There's a lighter weight HTC option as well, that lacks the bells and whistles.

Know that you're going to be shelling out north of $700 just for the VR portion, and you'll still need a top-notch gaming PC to run the framerates you want. GPU cards have come down in price lately as crypto has imploded and CoVid bottlenecks ease up, but it's still <$300 for the nVidia card you'll need to run this.

In contrast, the Oculus is going for $350 right now, and I don't think requires the horsepower the first two do. But it's known that Facebook is taking a big loss on the hardware side to gain market share and expand the Metaverse...which is being panned as a massive failure.

Note: I'd have bought an Oculus till they got bought by Zuck a few years back, now I won't touch one if offered.

Also, make sure the games you want to enjoy are available. See link for what's being offered in VR on the Steam store, you can choose which system you want compatibility for with radio buttons on the right hand side.

Replies: