I confess, I love my Quest 2. Hear me out!
by ravenium (2022-11-29 12:01:38)
Edited on 2022-11-29 12:05:10

In reply to: Does anyone have any recommendations for VR sets?  posted by dallas_subway

Stay with me here; I dislike Facebook for oh so many reasons, the founder of Oculus was a supreme weirdo with MUTED FOR PBR and humor effect

For the casual gamer who doesn't want to fire up a PC, tweak 5 settings, and stay tethered to a desk, it (and I can't believe I'm using this phrase) "just works".

Pop it on, play a game. Take it off, done.

Sit at your desk and play I Expect You to Die. Take it into the basement and play some game where you have to move, like Population One. No moving light poles, no turning on PC.

Who cares if it's sold at a hardware loss? That's not your problem, and by golly Oculus has the dominant market share and the most games. Sure, there are some games (half-life: Alyx) only made for desktops, but guess what? You can connect to your desktop and play those too!

Until someone gets critical momentum in the app space for a portable VR headset, Oculus ain't going anywhere soon. 2 Years later and they still sell it. $350 is a hell of a better value proposition than $1000, especially if you're like me and maybe VR game an hour or two a week.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Apple or Valve or whoever would make a wireless VR headset that would challenge them, but it's just not there yet.

Bottom line: if you're a casual gamer and want to dip your toes into the VR space without breaking the bank, the Quest 2 ain't a bad idea, as much as I dislike its maker.

Edit: yeah yeah, it's now "Meta" Quest. I'll say that right as soon as I say "Willis Tower".

Replies: