Play by play announcer is decidedly for Kentucky.
by hibernianangst (2018-05-20 15:05:53)

Wish Notre Dame could make her unhappy.

Holloway has nothing left. Her velocity was down the fist inning.

she walks too many batters & the catcher double clutches
by rhodyjack  (2018-05-20 21:45:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One graphic had her throwing 60+ strikes and 50+ balls - doesn't strike out enough batters and the catcher has the yips/Steve Sax hitch that has caused her to rarely throw any one out stealing second. Not a good combination - every walk is like a double.

Well let's hope the Ducks kick Kentucky's butt in Eugene.
by Domerduck  (2018-05-20 16:31:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was hoping for another ND Oregon women's competition on the West Coast in the NCAA's since the last time it went so well for the Irish in Spokane on the way to the National Championship. UK was too good for ND, but the Ducks are better.

UK will probably get drilled. UK is nothing special.
by hibernianangst  (2018-05-20 16:38:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame does not have championship pitching or coaching.

I was hoping to get a better result against the 16 Seed
by Murcer68  (2018-05-20 16:55:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This seemed to be a tailor-made draw to advance to a Super Regional. But unfortunately, it was different year, same result. At this point, I've given up hope of ever getting to a Super Regional.

UK has a number of good hitters and we are
by chicos bail bonds  (2018-05-20 15:42:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

relying on one pitcher who uses deception and finesse. Our hitting isn't nearly what it needs to be to advance. 6 runs in basically 3.5 games won't cut it at this level. And I think there is in incredibly wide gap between the top teams and UK.

17 years of experience & expecting a different result.
by hibernianangst  (2018-05-20 15:47:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Poor recruiting and poor development will get the results you deserve. A glaring example is the catching. The pitcher gives up a walk and you might as well let the runner advance straight to second base.

I now get 17 years of Gumpf vs 23 total not making it past
by Domerduck  (2018-05-20 17:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

regionals and 20 straight. As much as we want ND to be great I am not sure you can get many top players to ND being in the ACC so I think she is doing as well as she can. Softball is dominated by the SEC and the PAC12 with Oklahoma & FSU being the only exceptions that are keeping up with them. The Big 10 is even falling off with no teams getting to host this year. She put together a tough schedule and was the only other ACC NCAA qualifier besides FSU despite not ending up 2nd in the conference. 17 straight years by Gumpf leading her team to the NCAA's is not something to take lightly.

I do agree the number of stolen bases is ridiculous and they need to fix that.

This reads like something Jack Swarbrick would say.
by hibernianangst  (2018-05-20 17:42:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a loser's mentality. You get what you tolerate and deserve.

EDIT: If the attitude is we can't win then drop the damned charade and cut baseball and softball. Then ND can add women's hockey.

Jack should fix baseball, women's lacrosse, & football
by Domerduck  (2018-05-20 19:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where his terrible hires are embarrassing the university by their perfomance or history of cheating and vacated wins. Gumpf clearly isn't McGraw but she was here before Jack and her teams do not embarrass ND. In fact there are 13 other ACC teams that would trade places with ND in softball. This year ND did even better than any Big 10 team in softball in the NCAA's and knocked out their regular season champion with the sport's winningest coach. They also did better than every other Big 12 team not named Oklahoma.

I truly doubt Jack would be able to hire someone better than Deanna given his track record. Maybe you are smart enough to do that. Also maybe you would have had a trigger finger getting rid of Mike Brey when in his first 14 years his teams were a bit of a disappointment until he used the ACC's competitiveness to help them get to the elite 8 two years in a row. Now we all love him which I always did. I don't apologize for respecting and supporting coaches like him and Deanna who win and bring honor to the university even if they haven't won it all (which only ND women;s basketball, fencing, and soccer have done since the 90's).

As for adding a women's hockey team, we don't need to drop softball to do that so why don't we just do it. If you think we should drop baseball I am OK with that, but I do like ND's women's softball team and think we should keep at it.