What SB coach would come to ND if Deanna was run out after
by Domerduck (2018-05-21 13:42:02)
Edited on 2018-05-21 13:45:14

In reply to: "Notre Dame is all about excellence", Jack Swarbrick.  posted by hibernianangst

making the NCAA's every year? The education challenges have their advantages and disadvantages. We also have the Northern school disadvantage.

But let's say you got your way. I think the best comparison points to make to evaluate a change would be Duke and Stanford who are both worse than ND right now. This season, Duke had their first year in softball after hiring a UM 03 grad in 2015. They were 29-27 and didn't make the NCAA's. They were competitive against ND and will give us a run in the future as we are in the same conference. If Deanna can't stay ahead of them your argument may make sense. Stanford has a 2nd year coach and I give them a better chance to get to "excellence" since they are in Power Softball conference. Their current coach is a Stanford alum who was in the CWS in the early 2000's This year Stanford finished the season with a 24-31 overall record and a 3-21 mark in the Pac-12 which Stanford is celebrating since it was the most conference wins for the Cardinal since 2014.

Maybe you have other ideas but I don't see any that makes ND better in Softball than where they are now. If Duke and Stanford start doing better than us than you probably were right, although hiring those coaches would be a lot easier than replacing Gumpf now. I want us to get to the next level but I think our chances are better with Deanna (just like we were sticking with Brey) than riding a new horse. We will see.