No news?
by Oggie (2018-05-26 14:55:25)

I guess the least-favored Mik at ND still has his job?

The fact they announced his return for '18 bodes well
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2018-05-27 10:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had forgotten this (as I mentioned earlier this week) but if they felt strongly enough to need to publicly announce his return last July, that means it was in doubt.

I'm not sure if recruiting was suffering, or there were other factors involved, but why announce a coach is returning in the normal course of things?

Of course, I still believe that the few wins over top 10'ish teams will somehow be used to justify his return for '19. I remain highly skeptical, but last July's announcement should offer some hope, especially after that punctuation mark to the season the other day.

Two Mondays after Memorial Day
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-05-26 16:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is when Schrage was fired in 2010. That's the date I've been penciling in for Aoki's putative firing these past few years. If he's still head coach as of Tuesday, June 12, our worst suspicions will have been presumptively confirmed.

As with basketball
by D8NDomer  (2018-05-27 09:00:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I expect coaches & administrators congregate for the CWS @ Omaha. That should be a catalyst.

Of equal importance though
by garbageplate  (2018-05-27 14:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assuming Aoki is canned, then who will be responsible for hiring his replacement? If it's Swarbrick, we can all expect more of the same.

We are damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
by hibernianangst  (2018-05-27 17:20:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This must be what hell is like.

This reminds me ...
by CJC  (2018-05-28 17:00:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of U.S. Supreme Court "strategizing" (on both sides of the aisle at different times, so please don't interpret this as political commentary).

We must pray fervently that Muffet McGraw and Mike Brey continue in their present positions beyond Swarbrick's departure. Jeff Jackson and every other competent Notre Dame head coach, too.

Good analogy
by garbageplate  (2018-05-29 15:06:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Particularly since getting hired in the ND athletics department is akin to a lifetime appointment.