FSU loses 2 at home in NCAAs but gets to Semis in SB CWS.
by Domerduck (2018-06-03 00:51:40)

FSU was #7 seed overall and the ACC's 2nd highest seed (UNC #1, 6th overall) and lost their first 2 games to be eliminated. They were the only home team to be out after 2 games and joined Ohio State as the only schools from power conferences eliminated after only 2 games. Pretty embarrassing run for FSU.

The bright side for FSU is they are in the semis in the softball CWS in Oklahoma City as today they eliminated #1 seed Oregon after they eliminated #7 Georgia. Still they need to beat UCLA two straight times tomorrow to move into the finals. The best part is the ACC with their 2 teams lasted longer in the SB NCAAs than the SEC's 13 teams and will end up with a higher overall win% record. Oklahoma is also still in as they took out Florida, the #2 seed and last SEC school left. They have to beat Washington twice tomorrow to make it to the finals. With one win each though by UCLA & UW it could be an all PAC12 championship series. We will see Sunday.

FSU softball makes the CWS champ series-1st ACC team ever
by Domerduck  (2018-06-03 21:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They play Washington tomorrow. FSU has made it to the CWS 10 times and this is the farthest they've gone. It will be good for ND and the ACC if they can win it all.

The ND alumni in Florida that I know
by soflalum  (2018-06-04 16:43:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

won't be cheering for FSU. Our ACC "comrades" in Florida don't like us and don't support us - whether we are playing in or out of conference - so why should we care about them? During the NCAA Women's National Championship basketball game, all of the Miami and FSU alumni that I know in Florida were rooting for Mississippi State over ND. When ND joined the ACC, the BC alumni in Florida told us that the ACC is the Anti-Catholic Conference. Now ND alumni in Florida feel the same way.

So FSU wins it all so sorry ND Fla alumni feel this way.
by Domerduck  (2018-06-05 23:37:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For me I don't understand the conference animosity, particularly when it comes to women's sports. I understand rivalries but I think rooting for your conference is always good. The SEC has made it an art. i've been doing it routinely for ACC and PAC12, my 2 favorite conferences. I do believe FSU's win is good for ACC softball. My guess is we will get 4 teams in next year if we keep playing tough schedules and stay competitive. My hope is for at least 2 including ND to make it to super regionals. We will see.

OVERALL NCAA TOURNEY RECORD by Power conference
#1 ACC 13-4 76.5%, National Champ
#2 PAC12 30-16 65.2% 4 CWS Participants, 2 semifinalist, 1 runner-up
#3 SEC 43-29 59.7% 2 CWS participants (NO semis)
#4 Big 12 10-8 55.6% 1 CWS participant, 1 semifinalist
#5 Big 10 8-10 44.4% No team progressed out of regionals.

I do not root for a team because it’s in my conference.
by Irish7478  (2018-06-13 12:23:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In most cases I root against them if they are in my conference. These tend to the teams we recruit against, and cheer against when we play them. Cheering for Duke in basketball or FSU in football, or Louisville in WCBB is something I will never do. I don’t understand why I’m supposed to support them. I seriously doubt there are FSU fans hoping we win a NC.

You obviously don't live in the southeast
by soflalum  (2018-06-06 10:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has little to do with men's or women's sports. It is mostly anti-Catholicism. I've been here for three decades - very active in the ND alumni association. ND is the most recognizable name in Catholic higher education. Most people in this part of the country don't know that BC is Catholic (no Jesuit joke intended), so they don't bear the brunt of the bigotry. When we joined the ACC, the BC alumni welcomed us to the Anti-Catholic Conference. We certainly understand why.

I disagree to a point
by pmac98  (2018-06-06 17:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To older Americans (say 55+), religion is still an important delineation and certainly a source of mockery/bigotry. With these folks, I agree with you.

Under that age though, people have been conditioned to eschew religion in all forms.

I think it's generally a product of the climate in the USA against "rich" people. Anyone or any group perceived to have privilege over another is the target of mockery. Heck, they may even still quote the Catholic thing, but the real reason is the perception of elitism.

Syracuse Too
by Murcer68  (2018-06-06 17:22:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to see us play a woman's Olympic sport on the Syracuse campus and was shocked at the anti-Catholic comments made by the fans. Also heard them at Metlife Stadium during a football game against Syracuse. I thought people wouldn't hate Catholics anymore, but I was wrong.

The difference in Oregon people don't know Catholics exist &
by Domerduck  (2018-06-06 20:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

really don't care about religion. So i guess I don't understand.