You obviously don't live in the southeast
by soflalum (2018-06-06 10:30:44)

In reply to: So FSU wins it all so sorry ND Fla alumni feel this way.  posted by Domerduck

It has little to do with men's or women's sports. It is mostly anti-Catholicism. I've been here for three decades - very active in the ND alumni association. ND is the most recognizable name in Catholic higher education. Most people in this part of the country don't know that BC is Catholic (no Jesuit joke intended), so they don't bear the brunt of the bigotry. When we joined the ACC, the BC alumni welcomed us to the Anti-Catholic Conference. We certainly understand why.

I disagree to a point
by pmac98  (2018-06-06 17:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To older Americans (say 55+), religion is still an important delineation and certainly a source of mockery/bigotry. With these folks, I agree with you.

Under that age though, people have been conditioned to eschew religion in all forms.

I think it's generally a product of the climate in the USA against "rich" people. Anyone or any group perceived to have privilege over another is the target of mockery. Heck, they may even still quote the Catholic thing, but the real reason is the perception of elitism.

Syracuse Too
by Murcer68  (2018-06-06 17:22:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to see us play a woman's Olympic sport on the Syracuse campus and was shocked at the anti-Catholic comments made by the fans. Also heard them at Metlife Stadium during a football game against Syracuse. I thought people wouldn't hate Catholics anymore, but I was wrong.

The difference in Oregon people don't know Catholics exist &
by Domerduck  (2018-06-06 20:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

really don't care about religion. So i guess I don't understand.