If Swarbrick were asked if he reads Jake's Field
by ShermanOaksND (2018-06-24 13:03:23)

I suspect his response would be, "Who's Jake?"

There is no evidence whatsoever that he cares one whit about ND baseball, its history, or least of all its future.

My Jake & Yaz story
by rhodyjack  (2018-06-24 15:34:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was home in RI the summer between my soph and junior years at ND & went to a Red Sox game. Got here early and went down to the box seats next to the short foul line wall past third base. Yaz & Reggie Smith were playing catch & demonstrating to me why I wasn't a major leaguer. Throws like the flights of arrows. I was wearing an ND hat & Yaz asks if I go to ND - said yes and then he spent the next 10 minutes warming up and asking ND and Jake questions. My ND roommate was on the baseball team at the time so Yaz wanted to know about the program & Jake. Didn't know that Yaz went to ND on a basketball scholarship - broke Jim Brown's hs records out on Long Island.

Here's mine...
by 2Domer  (2018-06-24 17:05:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some years after Yaz left ND, Jake Kline (who sometimes liked to tell stories) said that Yaz was the only guy he ever saw who could hit a line drive through the pitcher's legs and still have it go over the center field fence. The pitchers knew that couldn't possibly be true, but the very thought of it made the pitchers wet their pants.

2Domer and Mike Schmidt
by 65domer  (2018-06-24 23:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The way I hear it 2Domer emptied Schmidt's bladder with a brush-back pitch before striking him out.

He was terrified of a 33 mph fastball
by 2Domer  (2018-06-25 01:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He couldn’t understand it. “Yo, Mike, you just have to accept it.”

Did you pitch for ND in the 70 - 73 years?
by rhodyjack  (2018-06-27 13:57:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My roommate Eddie Hrabcsak pitched during that time & I always kidded him that he got Mike Schmidt signed out of Ohio U as I think he hit a few homers off of Eddie.

I loved Eddie Hrabcsak...
by 2Domer  (2018-06-27 16:39:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(From Rhode Island, as I clearly recall), but he’s going to have to share credit for Mike Scmidt’s advancement. Your roommate was a really good guy. He threw a “heavy” fastball.

Yes - we were both from RI
by rhodyjack  (2018-06-28 15:25:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We went to HS together and then ND. Great funny guy- died a couple of years ago.

Really sorry to hear that. Such a good guy. *
by 2Domer  (2018-06-28 17:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post