I'll answer your question-No!!! The article is reckless in
by domerduck (2018-06-30 02:16:04)

In reply to: Did the Oregon State coach cross the line..  posted by TWO

its accusation. Certainly Abel's parents supported Pat keeping him in (see attached article). It was clear he wasn't stressing and it was also clear that Casey was giving him rope based on whether he put anyone on. Starting in the 6th inning Pat was ready to replace him if he got one batter on. He didn't. He earned the right to stay out there

Pitch count is less important than when and how the pitches were made. His liberal use of this very effective change up was helpful. He also started to use his curve in the later part of the game. I think he'll be fine and will have fun watching him here in Corvallis he next two years.

He (Casey) most certainly was reckless
by Cards86  (2018-07-15 20:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The article you reference and your comments on the subject are certainly spot on - stressful versus non-stressful innings matter. However, the job of a coach is to protect the player from himself. No player that I have ever come across willingly comes out of a game when everything is on the line. They all want the ball. All of them.

I too have some experience with this. As minor league field coordinator for a Major League club I would find it reckless and selfish to throw a pitcher 241 pitches in 5 days. We in pro ball would be fired for such use. No 18-19 year old should be asked to do such a thing. Pitches in the college World Series are inherently stressful.

Casey chased the win - no doubt. We shall see how it affects this young man moving forward. I suspect there will be some repercussions down the road.

As a side note we did not sign two of our draft picks this year due to injuries sustained during the year in college - both injuries directly related to overuse.