Louisville and other public universities have robust scholar
by mrock90 (2019-02-04 10:35:56)

In reply to: For those in the know, a question -  posted by Cards86

Offerings for the surrounding state residents...allows them to combine athletic and academic aid to fairly easily get to near full ride...ND puts itself at competitive disadvantage in this regard...they're 50% scholarship still leaves families on the hook for $35k/ yr

One nit: I'd love to pay 35K for my kid at ND
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-02-05 09:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The value of that is huge, especially in comparison to an out-of-state kid going to Louisville, or similar....meaning out-of-state when viewed from Kentucky. The degree might mean more in-state, but in Ohio it doesn't mean a lot while a ND degree is powerful anywhere you go.

Now, certainly not every family can swing 35K per year, but overall the value of the offer is significant at that level.

Fair point and I would say the same
by mrock90  (2019-02-05 10:31:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but not everyone, especially elite athlete types look at it that way...especially given where the program currently resides

How does Vanderbilt do it? They have a great
by TWO  (2019-02-04 16:34:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

program going now. Preseason #1, won a Natty recently. They are every bit as expensive as ND, now granted they are in a better weather situation, but academics and cost of attendance is about the same.

Vandy cares about baseball
by mrock90  (2019-02-04 16:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Up until 15 yrs ago Vandy was a nothing program at the same time ND was a top 10-15 program. They got the right coach and institutional support...Vandy also has much better financial aid program and I'd bet that most on their roster are getting substantial aid...Vandy like ND, is a private institution and can do whatever they want w financial aid...if ND wanted to they could...but they don't so they won't

Thanks. Doesn't the kid from California or Texas
by Cards86  (2019-02-04 12:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or Florida still have to pay the 35k? From a strictly talent standpoint does it make sense to recruit more regionally? Penn State has the same problem with their baseball team in my view. They cast a wide national net when there is abundant talent in the surrounding states. Trying to convince warm weather kids to attend a northern baseball school doesn't make much sense to me. It would seem that the local schools would have a huge advantage in this regard.

I just think we would be more successful recruiting kids from Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, etc. From a purely recruiting standpoint does this make sense?

Those kids may pay less
by okerland  (2019-02-08 13:41:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's very possible that a can't miss kid from California or Texas is given more of an athletic scholarship while the local kid gets more of an academic scholarship.

My mind is fuzzy on this but I could have sworn I read years ago that after a year on campus, the athlete is considered a resident of the state and then can get the state discount.

I honestly don't know their recruiting strategy...
by mrock90  (2019-02-04 12:27:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know this is the first time I've ever heard of them taking jucos...the other thing that goes against them is comparatively shitty facility; I've been to many college venues over the past couple yrs and considering the resources ND has, the facility is a joke...it's not just recruiting, it's a total program commitment issue

Appreciate it *
by Cards86  (2019-02-04 14:18:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post