Article about ND baseball in the Indy Star today.
by Otter (2019-05-03 15:00:18)
Edited on 2019-05-03 15:01:10

I suggest you use an old computer or go to the library before reading, as you are likely to smash your screen. Some gems:

"After seeing nine players drafted into pro ball the past two Junes, including five in the first seven rounds, this projected as a rebuilding year for coach Mik Aoki’s ninth edition. When two-sport star Cole Kmet suffered a season-ending UCL injury in mid-March, the odds only grew longer."

Rebuilding? Please.

“The injuries and the lack of depth overall has been tough to deal with,” Aoki said. “Honestly, I don’t know too many programs in the country that could suffer injuries to guys they thought were going to be in their top eight to 10 arms and continue to have the depth you need to be able to pitch in the fourth and fifth games of the week.”

And here is Aoki giving new recruits a laundry list of why you shouldn't come to Notre Dame. Amazing:

“We put a fair number of resources into baseball, but we certainly don’t do it at the level of Miami or Clemson or Florida State or Georgia Tech or North Carolina or N.C. State or Virginia or anybody,” Aoki said. “Wake Forest has put a lot of money into their baseball program.”

Nor does geography work in Notre Dame’s favor.

“We’re the northernmost school,” Aoki said. “We’re on the road for essentially the first two or three conference weekends of the year -- every year. … You’ve got UNC and all of these schools that are terrific academic schools with weather that is frankly better than it is in South Bend, Indiana.”

Spoken like someone at BC -- not someone at ND
by btd  (2019-05-13 21:05:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This f-wad needs to be fired ASAP -- but we know that's never going to happen. I don't think I have ever seen a coach go on record so directly about how every other team in his conference is a better place for a recruit to go. That alone should be cause for termination.

Yes. It’s an absolute disgrace. *
by Otter  (2019-05-13 21:15:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The it's not me, it's you defense
by Groundhog  (2019-05-08 01:30:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which coat of paint is this for him?

Aoki is becoming even more detestable. He is Davie-esque. *
by hibernianangst  (2019-05-03 18:43:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy crap. Worse than I imagined. Think if Kelly said this.
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-05-03 15:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly would be rightly torched for as long as he was still at ND...actually, probably longer.

This is embarrassing.

Jack, this should actually make you grow a pair and fire him. This is grounds for dismissal.

A lot of this is on Sally too--
by mrock90  (2019-05-03 16:01:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not false to say they hardly put resources into baseball at all; the facility is 25 yrs old and sterile and not inviting to anyone interested in watching even modestly competitive baseball; that being said, firing Aoki would need to be part of a comprehensive upgrade

The fact they had to quote him from 2017 is problematic
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-05-03 16:06:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has no skin in the game. He obviously doesn't have to care about baseball. His last public comment on the f***** program is from 2 years ago, and this is after they were absolutely humiliated at the dismal end to a dismal season in 2018. He said NOTHING.

This is the worst of it in my opinion....especially since he lost to all 3 Michigan directional schools. ACC?? How about competing in the MAC, you excuse-machine:

“It’s a daunting conference, for sure,” said Aoki, who had to make the same jump at his previous stop, Boston College. “I think it’s always a challenge here, right? Notre Dame had a really unique niche in the Big East.”

Recruiting was easier in the Big East, he suggested, when Notre Dame was the most academically oriented school that still “placed a pretty strong emphasis” on baseball. Outspending their ACC baseball brethren is nearly impossible, and the number of strong academic schools that remain committed to baseball is much higher in this conference.

I guarantee you wouldn't hear that excuse making from Murphy
by mrock90  (2019-05-03 15:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or manieri

Rebuilding year after last 2 years....26-32 and 24-30
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-05-03 15:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy shit. Try reading that with a straight face.

Imagine the excuses Swarbrick would have made for Ty! *
by ndzippy  (2019-05-07 14:58:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post