No respect in NCAA softball seeding. #2 in Norman, OK
by hibernianangst (2019-05-12 21:07:39)
Edited on 2019-05-12 22:17:20

Oklahoma is the overall number 1 seed in the tournament. Notre Dame opens against # 3 seed Wisconsin.

They want TV games; ND & Wisconsin-prime time ESPN tonite
by Domerduck  (2019-05-17 14:08:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at 7pm. The winner will get the 4pm ESPN game tomorrow against #1 Oklahoma (assuming they beat UMBC Friday night-a 9:30 game on ESPN2)-all times ET.

All in all it's not a bad Seed to be #2, even though it's Norman. ND is the only one of the 5 ACC teams to make the tournament to not even get any votes in recent national rankings. The ACC top team is defending champ FSU, an overall 4 seed and nationally ranked #6 while Va Tech is ranked 23rd and a 2 seed. Both North Carolina and Louisville received votes in the April 22 ESPN/Softball USA national ranking and also got a 2 seed in their region. Wisconsin the 3 seed was actually ranked #25 in that ranking. Both Louisville & Wisconsin dropped off after their conference tourneys to be out of the final rankings. ND has a 33 RPI to Wisconsin's 35 and L'ville 36 so I think they tried to set up good TV games for the final NCAA seeding.

That said getting 5 ACC teams in the tourney is a big deal as I don't think it has ever happened before. I think having the defending NC helped. ND'sstreak is also still impressive even if we haven't ever made a superregional. I'd take our softball performance over ND baseball any day. The Big 10 and PAC12 were always strong in softball but the SEC has now taken over with all 13 teams making it in 2 years in a row. Big 10 got 6 teams in but only 1 top 8 seed like the ACC. The Pac 12 got 3 top 8 seeds out of their 5 qualifiers. The Big 12 only has Oklahoma top 8 although OkState and Texas got home regionals along with 6 SEC teams and the 3 Big 10 schools.

My feeling it would be great if not only does ND do well but the other ACC teams especially since three are playing a Big10 teams in their opener. It didn't start well with UNC losing 1-0 to Ohio State in their opener, but Va Tech is beating Illinois 6-2 with 1 inning left and Louisville is up 4-0 on SIU after 2.

I'm hoping for a good tourney and will be watching. Go Irish!

We need to make a Super Regional at some point
by Murcer68  (2019-05-13 17:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Until then, we will be treated like Rodney Dangerfield.

Patience grasshopper.
by hibernianangst  (2019-05-13 18:05:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has only been 18 years under the current regime. These things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Perhaps when we start signing the former player's girls we will have a shot at a Super Regional and if we rally the Luck of the Irish a Women's World Series.

The worst (last place) team in the $EC gets weaker regional.
by hibernianangst  (2019-05-12 21:25:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suppose you get what you deserve if you are Notre Dame softball.

Minnesota received a number 7 seed and will play at home in the Super if they win their regional.

Michigan a 15 seed and Northwestern a 16 seed. Both get to start at home.

Oh well, there is always next year.