While I think we all agree the Eck needs to be improved....
by ndgotrobbedin97 (2019-06-18 12:25:51)
Edited on 2019-06-18 12:31:40

....does anyone really see ND spending money on this facility past what they've already done (locker rooms---though it's been several years, field turf). While I don't know the particulars, I'm sure some plan is in place for baseball/softball to utilize more indoor space with the new football building opening, so that has to be factored into the idea of "improvement" and how the school justifies its side of things.

The Eck is a functional, but incredibly sterile and lifeless facility. But, without some hope of payback I doubt that will change much, at least in the spectator areas. It could use some weather protection for fans, some sort of "concourse" or pavilion area for fans to gather, etc. but that would cost some serious money, and again, is there payback for this? Are you just dipping into the same pot as the SB Cubs at some point?

I doubt a lot of money will be spent, but it'd be helpful for the program to jazz the place up a bit. Bleacher sections over/behind the fences in left/right? Makes some sense in left with the walkway between the other stadiums, but not sure how much room you have for such an idea.

Another minor improvement could be a larger patio/concession area behind home plate and shared with the softball program utilizing the look of campus architecture to mute the late 80's, early 90's feel of the Eck. Nothing over-the-top, but just some enhanced amenities. ND knows how to build places to sell their wares. This should be able to happen.

Do they take cards yet?
by chsfb75  (2019-06-18 16:41:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Went to a game a few years ago and found that they did not take cards. Had to walk over to the JACC to use an ATM.

They won't do it alone
by HTownND  (2019-06-18 12:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But if enough people come and bring money to the cause, it will get done.

There are plenty of expensive new athletic facilities on campus that will never get a good ROI, but they were part of a donation package/plan.

The question is, will ND solicit donations and look for benefactors who are interested in baseball facilities?

Two thoughts on this
by ndzippy  (2019-06-18 12:44:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. It's not hard to add "atmosphere" to a baseball stadium...just add beer and better food options. Add a Brews & Bites area that rotates between Evil Czech, Crooked Ewe, and Barehands. Add a rotating area for local restaurants (Rocco's, Macri's, Waka Dog, etc.). Do something...anything...to make it a nice experience for those in attendance.

2. You mentioned the South Bend Cubs; why not just use the Cubs' stadium when it's available? Duke uses Durham Bulls Athletic Park for its homes games whenever possible and it's awesome...it costs $5 to get in, most of the concessions stands are open (including the ones that sell beer), and you can sit in any open seat in the stadium. I took my daughter (she was 4) to watch ND play Duke last spring; we sat right behind the Irish dugout and could easily interact with the team--in a real baseball stadium with real amenities. That's the kind of experience I can get behind; I wouldn't have taken her if it had been played on Duke's campus. (And, let's face it, it's not like students attend the games, so a change in location shouldn't HURT attendance.)

Good option for fans, inconvenience for Student-Athletes *
by NDIrishBB  (2019-06-18 16:14:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

can you elaborate
by HTownND  (2019-06-19 10:16:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On that last part?

How much of an inconvenience is it (I don't know) to take a 10 minute bus ride over to Four Winds for just the game?

It isn't just the bus ride
by NDIrishBB  (2019-06-19 10:33:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In addition to the bus ride, you don't have your locker room, team room, indoor hitting facility, or other amenities that you have by playing on your home field. Even if the SB Cubs gave the players a locker room to use, the players would then have two separate locker rooms. It's just much nicer being on campus, close to everything that you need. I can also tell you that when the team played a handful of games at the SB cubs stadium in 2014, it did not boost attendance in any way. So not sure that would even help with getting fans out to the games. I do agree that ND baseball facility could use an upgrade, but don't think playing at Four Winds is the solution. The easiest way to boost attendance and to increase fan experience? Win. I guarantee you the experience would be better for everyone involved if the team won more.

I was thinking both
by HTownND  (2019-06-20 10:53:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not suggesting Four Winds replace Eck, but it could be a good option to change things up.

But if we make big improvements to Eck, and schedule a handful of games at Four Winds, seems like a win/win

Somehow Duke has found a way to make it work
by ndzippy  (2019-06-19 13:37:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

80-45 over last two seasons, with two NCAA tournament bids.

I think the inconvenience can be overcome.

Duke isn't winning because they play at DBAP
by NDIrishBB  (2019-06-19 13:54:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ballpark isn't making Duke win. You are talking about how adding "fan experience" to Notre Dame baseball is going to help them. And playing games at Four Winds field isn't going to bring more fans to the games. Also, the stadium is only part of what makes the fan experience. A lot more goes into it. Also, look back at 2014 when ND Baseball played games at Four Winds. Attendance didn't increase and "fan experience" wasn't better.

Correct; they're winning in spite of the "inconvenience" *
by ndzippy  (2019-06-19 17:09:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly
by NDIrishBB  (2019-06-19 17:18:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So your "two thoughts" on creating an "atmosphere" and using Four Winds field isn't going to lead the team to wins. So what exactly is your goal here? To have an "atmosphere" or to have a team that wins?

I’ve given up on winning; I’m aiming for a better experience
by ndzippy  (2019-06-19 17:52:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully one that creates a little buzz and gives the admin a reason to invest a little bit.

Hahahahaha
by NDIrishBB  (2019-06-20 07:43:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hahahahaha some "fan" you are. Given up on the team winning so that you can have a better experience in the stands. Makes sense. Lol

I can tell you with 100% confidence that at no point in time will Notre Dame's athletic vision shift from being about the student-athletes to being about the fans. And anyone that thinks it should is delusional.

I was half joking
by ndzippy  (2019-06-20 15:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I absolutely agree that student-athletes should be priority #1. However, prioritizing student athletes (and winning) and delivering a good fan experience are not mutually-exclusive goals. Our women's basketball program is a good example of that.

Win or lose, the atmosphere at Frank Eck stadium stinks. However, I'm not saying we should abandon the place for Four Winds; my first set of recommendations was focused on making things better on campus. Still, I see very little downside--and fairly significant upside (if marketed appropriately)--associated with using Four Winds when it's available.

Downtown South Bend has come a long way since 2014. South Bend Brew Werks, a short walk from Four Winds Field, opened in 2014. Crooked Ewe, a very short drive away, opened in 2015. Render opened last year and is within walking distance. And that's to say nothing of all of the money being plowed into the direct vicinity of the ballpark. Why not give it a shot?

Could be some value
by NDIrishBB  (2019-06-21 08:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that playing a game (or series) at Four Winds field to engage the community or the fans and give them a different experience could be extremely valuable. Absolutely. And I think your suggestions of how to do that are good. I don't think playing all games at Four Winds would necessarily change anything. There isn't a huge Notre Dame baseball fan base within the South Bend community. Getting people to come out to a game every now and then could work, though.

I like your suggestions, especially using the SB Cubs
by MPG  (2019-06-18 14:02:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

downtown stadium when available. It is an excellent facility with a grass field. A good team, free admission for students, and some beer availability would bring some students downtown.

Beer was sold at Gary in 2014 when ND played there.
by hibernianangst  (2019-06-18 23:38:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Gary stadium is home to a pro independent league team. You can see the stadium when the South Shore rolls thru Gary. It is a big and nice stadium. I was one of a handful of fans at the game I attended. I had driven from South Bend to watch Notre Dame play Northeastern. Playing in Gary told me all I needed to know about Jack's concern for Notre Dame baseball. Jack decided to put in turf DURING the f'n baseball season. What a cluster****. At least there was not a line at the Gary concession stand and bathroom. The Irish lost but the beer was cold and plentiful.

Beer is sold in ND stadiums if you have club seats
by NDoggie78  (2019-06-19 09:51:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the JACC it is the Naimoli Club
In the Compton, it is the O'Brien Club (and the past season, the upper deck end section)
In the Stadium it is all the new club and box seating in the press box and the club on the concourse in the south end (under the jumbotron) and in the Monogram club by the ramp under the north end

So the powers that be aren't necessarily against beer and alcohol sales, just not to the masses (maybe a conference rule?). And away football games in pro stadiums have sold alcohol for 40+ years (I can personally attest)

The NCAA allows alcohol sales at title games, too - necessary in Dallas this past season.

Its strictly a legal liability decision by ND
by btd  (2019-06-22 22:01:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The took that decision long ago that they believe it is a legal liability to serve beer at games. This is also why they don't allow fans to leave and return at halftime, etc. like many colleges do.

I see zero chance that is ever going to change at ND. The high rollers get a pass a) because they are high rollers, and b) it is less than 1% of the total audience in and around the stadium, so they believe it is a more controlled environment.

Not a conference rule; beer is sold at Duke games in Durham
by ndzippy  (2019-06-19 11:18:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Louisville, Wake Forest, and Syracuse sell beer during football games.