Okay
by NDIrishBB (2019-07-10 13:38:17)
Edited on 2019-07-10 13:44:57

In reply to: Great, so would love your opinion on Aoki & the program  posted by ndgotrobbedin97

I don't want to give my opinion on any specific person, but I will let you know how I feel about the program.

First and foremost, the program is nowhere near where it needs to be or should be. During Aoki's tenure, the team simply did not win enough and because of that the move needed to be made at the end of this year to change leadership. I know that there is much talk about how he should have been gone long ago, but I think that the 2015 season gave administration a little bit of hope and extended his stay in South Bend.

Why has the program failed? To start, Notre Dame is not an easy place to win. There are significant disadvantages that the Notre Dame baseball team faces that no other school in the ACC does. Although these disadvantages are real, they should not and can not be used as an excuse, because they are absolutely able to be overcome. It's really difficult to pinpoint exactly why the program is failing, but at the end of the day the most obvious reason is that the Notre Dame baseball team is getting outcoached and outplayed far too often. Blame whoever you want for this, but personally, I think the blame falls on both players and coaches.

Finally, I think the ridicule of the Notre Dame athletic department's investment in baseball is a little bit ridiculous. Since joining the ACC, I think we have seen significant upgrades to the program. Since joining the ACC, Notre Dame baseball has installed FieldTurf, padded the outfield walls, built a team room, started to charter to various weekend series to benefit the student-athletes, and invested in lots of day-to-day equipment as well. Lots of this stuff costs a significant amount of money, and if you know anything about a college athletic department, it is that there is not just extra money laying around at the end of the day. Even a school like Notre Dame that has a very large athletic budget comparable to other schools, they are fighting to make decisions as to what the money should be spent on year in and year out. Football and Basketball will always get the lion's share of the money (which they should) because they are generating the most revenue. The baseball team at Notre Dame, simply put, is not making money. So although they are putting some resources into the program, I am sure they have a tough time tossing around a lot of money with a team that is going to consistently lose money. At lots of other power 5 conference schools that have incredible facilities, those baseball programs are actually making money, which makes it easier for the athletic department to invest in that program.

It's incredible to everyone on this board calling for Aoki to get fired, which eventually happens, and now complaining because the search is "taking too long". I understand that June is a recruiting month, but at the end of the day you have to make sure that you take your time and do your due diligence to hire the right coach. I would much rather have them take a week or two extra to get the right coach and miss out on recruiting, than hiring a coach immediately and then calling for him to be fired three years later. Wish there was more support on here, rather than constant complaining, but maybe the complaining is justified by the lack of winning the last however many years. I don't know.

Replies: