I agree. I think player development has been sorely...
by Cards86 (2019-07-30 12:17:04)

In reply to: Thank you for the research on this.  posted by OITLinebacker

lacking under Aoki. I knew Aoki in a professional setting and came away very unimpressed. The players from ND that have played in our organization recently lack basic game knowledge and spoke of the lack of development they received. It is a shame.

ND should, imo, fill out the majority of their roster from the Midwest (WI, IL, OH, IN, KY, TN, MI) and supplement with national talent that is a viable fit. But, perhaps more importantly, these players must be much more knowledgeable, much stronger, and much better players by their Junior years than they were as incoming freshman. I don't believe that has happened under Aoki.

Here's hoping they develop under Jarrett.

I've got a good question..how do they make to Div. 1 if they
by Slotts  (2019-08-05 17:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lack basic game knowledge? Seriously, Div. 1 shouldn't be the place to learn basic game knowledge.

I've got news for you - DI baseball is not very good -
by Cards86  (2019-08-05 18:18:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MOST of the kids that enter pro baseball lack basic game knowledge. DI is about playing and winning games. Individual fundamentals; team fundamentals; knowledge of the running game; understanding offensive situations; strategy - is not generally part of the DI process. They want kids that can win now, not kids that have to be taught.

Our 1st round draft pick was a DI reject - they didn't have time for him. Our gain...

Much of this is what bad college coaches call...
by KLav18  (2019-08-06 15:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Freedom.

“We let the boys play” is often an excuse for not having the knowledge to coach it, or a culture where players don’t feel like they need to listen.

Then, the players are called dumb when they aren’t talented enough to win games based on that alone.

Go to a college game at any level, and you’ll hear (and probably say yourself) “what is he doing...what is he swinging at that pitch in that count...”
Not speaking to you two guys...but anyone will say these things.
The answer is “he’s playing the game the only way he knows how.”

Granted, not all players are learners.
One of my current players (D1 commit) is the dumbest kid on the planet.
He’s incredibly talented, but he’s never been held accountable for learning.
I will say that I’m trying, and I can honestly say that he is too.

People want to know why so many college coaches call every pitch. Here’s the real answer.
1. As a coach, it’s fun to call a game.
2. The catcher hasn’t been taught, either due to lack of trying or lack of time.
3. College coaches get fired if they don’t win.

I don’t think they would have been very hard to play against *
by KLav18  (2019-08-02 09:23:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post