Baseball holding open tryouts Sept 3
by Hometown fan (2019-08-28 10:23:39)

Not sure if this is for walk-ons to add BP arms/bullpen catchers; or, if they are looking to add depth of some sort. Strikes me as kind of strange though.

Steve Andres
by dudeabides  (2019-10-04 16:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Steve Andres, who played at the end of the Mainieri era, was a walk-on, but not sure how tryouts were held.

NFL teams like the Packers will do this.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-09-20 11:15:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're always looking for a hidden jewel.

(For Wes Welker, I believe nobody came to his workout day, he wasn't invited to the combine, and he went undrafted.)

I tried out twice. Gallo’s last year and Murph’s first.
by The Beef  (2019-09-07 01:11:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Team was mostly walk-ons back then.

I played D1 in early 90's and it was common practice
by Sonofadomer  (2019-08-30 10:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The tryouts were to identify any walk-ons and we usually picked up 2-5 walk-ons after the tryouts. Not sure if this is common practice anymore.

Have we ever done this before?
by TWO  (2019-08-28 13:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It does seem odd for a Div 1 team to do this.

Did it in the late 90s as well
by Irish01  (2019-08-29 15:44:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can’t recall if it continued in the 2000s

My roommate walked on in late 90s *
by DBCooper  (2019-09-03 13:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's interesting given the roster cap imposed by NCAA rules.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2019-08-29 11:18:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By the first game of the regular season (February 14, 2020), a Division I baseball team's squad size cannot exceed 35 players. Up to 27 players can be on scholarship in a given year, and if you are on scholarship, you must be included in that 35-man limit. Those 35 players are the only ones who can practice the remainder of the season, so if you were carrying 50 players in the fall, the 15 left out are effectively off the team at that point. (This roster-cap has been around since 2008, in large part due to baseball's APR issues caused by huge rosters encouraging rampant transfers.)

Even though there's that forthcoming roster cap hanging over your head, there are still reasons why you'd want to carry extra players in the fall: depth, players coming back from injury, uncertainly about the last 2-3 roster spots, etc. I think it's crazy to carry 50+ players on a baseball team because I don't know how you effectively run a practice with that many players, but whatever.

A few rule changes the past two years have made the 35-man limit a little more flexible. As I said above, if you are on scholarship, you must be included in the 35-man limit. Previously, that applied even if you were injured or transferred before the season. You could get a waiver in some instances to replace a player, but you'd often have cases where your 35-man roster was effectively trimmed down right off the bat.

Recent rule changes now allow a team to replace a scholarship player's spot on the 35-man roster if: 1) He suffers a season-ending injury prior to the first regular season game; or 2) He voluntarily quits the team prior to the first regular season game. In both cases, the player replacing the old one must have been a walk-on who was already with the team in the fall (no midyear additions). Given the new flexibility to squad size, it makes sense that teams are more open to additional walk-on opportunities in the fall.

Yes
by El Kabong  (2019-08-28 18:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My brother tried out in the fall of 1991, was the last one cut.

I know they did it in the late 80's too *
by btd  (2019-08-31 14:11:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

'70s as well. *
by NH74Domer  (2019-09-02 22:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post