It’s just a tool. But it’s an incredibly powerful tool in
by tex29 (2020-01-04 08:24:56)
Edited on 2020-01-07 09:27:57

In reply to: As long as we understand that analytics is PART of the pie..  posted by Cards86

the hands of those who either know or are willing to learn how to use it. Moreover, it’s a tool that allows those who might be at a disadvantage in some areas (i.e. geography) to obtain a competitive advantage over those who still cling to old-fashioned (and demonstrably incorrect) teaching methods.

I agree with you that good coaches are critical. As you say, focusing on launch angle alone, especially without an understanding of other more critical aspects of proper mechanics, is dangerous. We need good coaches who can teach the fundamentals. But I am highly suspicious of any coach who refuses to at least consider the knowledge and advantages that can be gained from analytics and development technologies.

And it isn’t as if Notre Dame would have a lot to lose by seeking to better understand how, say, Vanderbilt might be getting the most out of its players. In Missouri’s case, my understanding is that they used technology to help hitters gain a better understanding of the strike zone and develop better approaches to at-bats. I see very little downside in bringing this technology to Notre Dame—assuming we can hire coaches capable of incorporating the technology correctly. And if our current coaches are unable or unwilling, that would be a big strike against them in my eyes.

Replies: