Damn....
by KLav18 (2020-01-04 22:17:07)

In reply to: As long as we understand that analytics is PART of the pie..  posted by Cards86

I couldn’t have said it any better myself.
Is that your quote? I love it.

Out here in CA there are dozens of Baseball Training Complex places that use all this tech, but they...

1. Don’t understand it
2. Focus on the flaws or shortcomings
3. Simply don’t put enough thought or honest thought into the actual talent potential of the player.

There are some really good hitting/pitching instructors that use the tech...but if we’re being honest the promise of technology gets parents to pay.
But my 5’7 CF that runs a 6.3 - 60 (no joke) has to put the ball in play if he’s going to play for me. He is NOT a D1 talent, and never will be.
But he goes to a guru, with HitTrax and Blast (both potentially great tools) and is told to increase his launch angle (which itself doesn’t make sense if you know what launch angle is)
What they really mean is that he needs to increase his attack angle...but the kid is a dumb 17 year old and just nods his head and tries to hit fly balls.

Sorry if I’m venting...but this tech revolution is dangerous in the hands of someone that doesn’t know what the numbers mean.

Replies: