I agree that analytics helps with revealing pitching
by Cards86 (2020-01-08 13:30:56)

In reply to: It helps you develop your approach to hitting.  posted by tex29

patterns, plate discipline, strike zone knowledge, and suggests areas where a player might improve. None of these things help a player's swing. They help his/hers approach.

The biggest difficulty we have with newly drafted players is the love affair with "launch angle". Every single one of our players attempts, incorrectly, to "get on plane" and swing "up" at the baseball. This requires length in the swing and thus takes more time. Invariably when the player is hitting .172 after a month of play we attempt to fix the problem. Pro baseball has done a great disservice to the amateur ranks, in my view, by not calling out amateur coaches and programs for this problem. It is one thing for Juan Soto to attempt to hit more long line drives than ground balls because he is incredibly skilled, has a repeatable swing, and merely needs to tweek his approach rather than his swing. It's what all big league hitters do. Christian Yelich has the measurably flattest swing in the Majors. Anthony Rendon has hands not seen since Paul Molitor - he just needs drills that keep him interested. Then wind him up and let him go.

Our analytic guys highlighted one of our players whose swing was measurably the "most on plane" and measurably the "most in sync". He hit below .150 and his swing sucks.

Amateur (and pro) coaches need to coach players to have a great set-up and a great approach. From those two baselines one can effectively work on the swing mechanics - not before. And though I agree with all of your post you have yet to identify how analytics helps a SWING.

That needs to be dug out of the dirt from childhood. Things like stickball, wiffle ball, and the like help dramatically in the formative years. But things like "launch angle" in the hands of inexperienced coaches has killed more swings than anything I know.

Sorry for the long rant...

Replies: