Binghamton gets $60MM gift to build new stadium
by fontoknow (2020-02-12 10:18:21)

Stated intent of the gift is to help spur a northeast collegiate baseball renaissance.

Someone gives 60 million. People find fault with it.
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2020-02-12 17:22:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a great Indianian, John Cougar, once said: ahh, but aint that America. Gotta love when people tell others how to spend their well-intended money.

I would imagine that is just par for the course on "insidehighered.com".

Most gifts to higher ed have winners and losers
by fontoknow  (2020-02-13 11:04:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In part because there are likely strings attached to a gift of this magnitude. So there will be tradeoffs.

Of course most in the academy would prefer to see gifts spent on the academy and not on athletics.

I'll admit it is a strange gift and the school would benefit more from it being allocated elsewhere.

It's absolutely a strange gift
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2020-02-13 16:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Binghamton isn't much of a sports school as it is, so seeing that kind of money go to baseball is extremely odd. But, good for the person that did it. If I dream of giving 60 million to ND for a lavish rowing/sailing/cliff diving venue, I would expect them to say "no thanks" or to put every penny of my gift towards that since I'm earmarking it.