I don't begrudge a player for being picked too high
by SixShutouts66 (2020-06-12 00:07:28)

In reply to: the 1st ever MLB draft - 1965 White Sox take a Domer  posted by olson

Ken died in 2009 in the Chicago area and seemingly had a good life after his failed BB career. To show the hit and miss nature of the BB draft, that same year Tom Seaver was the 190th pick and Nolan Ryan was 399th.

Dan McGinn, backup QB and regular punter, was the 413th player picked. Ara designed a couple of punt fake plays for Dan (think he used them on his particular hate Pitt). Dan went on to have a relatively long career (Cincy if I remember) as a left-handed reliever.

McGinn hit the 1st ever HR for the Montreal Expos
by olson  (2020-06-12 10:30:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Former ND punter/QB Dan McGinn hit the very first HR in Montreal Expos history - off Tom Seaver no less!! Discussed in link below.

At one point, the ND Baseball Media guide erroneously claimed this was the first regular season HR hit outside the United States...but the HR was hit at Shea Stadium (Queens NY)

Also in the link below:

McGinn had signed a conference letter of intent with Nebraska before flipping to ND...Nebraska coach Bob Devaney wasn't pleased...

Yes, Ken Plesha did just fine after his short pro baseball career...I think a ball field/playground was named in his honor for all his great community work...

the initial post was intended for White Sox fans who may not realize Johnny Bench was available...of course, every other MLB team had a shot at Bench too...since he lasted until the 2nd rd...

off an SC guy no less *
by NH74Domer  (2020-06-16 08:35:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He played for 5 seasons
by Slotts  (2020-06-12 18:11:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1 with the Reds, then 3 with the Expos and then 1 with the Cubs. 5.11 ERA, 15-30 record with 10 career saves. He only hit that 1 HR in his career.