Story from Stiffler's hometown paper - quotes / timeline
by IndyDave (2022-07-12 16:21:47)

Has a timeline on his interviews with Notre Dame, quotes from Stiffler, including the need to recruit the ND players in the portal. Nice read and good to see him talking to his small town home town paper (Somerset PA)

The guy interviewed with 17 people
by Otter  (2022-07-13 14:15:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That seems ridiculous for the position of Head Baseball coach. I'm hopeful they let some staff sit in on interviews where they didn't speak, but if 17 people got to ask questions...that's a broken process at that level. He's not trying to work in the computer lab.

I never interviewed anyone like that for the computer lab.
by OITLinebacker  (2022-07-14 15:31:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I might have put people through an obstacle course of troubleshooting, but they never had an "interview" with more than three people.

Sadly, it's not like that for hiring most positions at any University. The entire process is just sideways compared to the corporate world.

that's generally how it works in college athletics
by melanzana  (2022-07-14 09:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A candidate comes in and meets with all the different parts of the department: compliance, strength and conditioning, training, etc.

Doesn't mean they all have an equal say in the decision.

Correct. Totally standard and as much about the coach...
by FL_Irish  (2022-07-15 14:18:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...evaluating you as you evaluating the coach.

And some were probably recruiting rather than evaluating
by SavageDragon  (2022-07-14 23:41:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got example, you mentioned s&c: I bet he did meet with them, but it was less “tell us, coach, your philosophy on injuries / strength versus cardio / etc.” and more “look at our great weight room facilities; here’s our training table plan and procedure; here’s what you need to know about South Bend Orthopedics and similar care your players can get; etc.”

And sometimes it's also "internal PR" ...
by CJC  (2022-07-15 10:39:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Making people feel included, etc., and perhaps more importantly, not slighted.

To me, there are two sides to this coin. In general, I'm in favor of hearing from as many people as possible as long as I'm not overwhelmed as the decision-maker; people are clear that I am the decision-maker (when that's the case, of course); and the candidate isn't unduly annoyed or overwhelmed.

(And to be clear, as others have alluded, I presume much of this does not involve anything that comes close to a formal interview.)

But sometimes, the sense of entitlement ("I should get to participate" "I deserve a say" etc.) brings out the caveman in me.

Don't even get me started on "shared governance."

Context is missing *
by nd67  (2022-07-13 18:48:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

16 high-fives on his way in to meet Swarbrick *
by acrossdmiddle  (2022-07-14 10:04:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No position below CEO reporting to a 17 member Board
by Freight Train  (2022-07-13 18:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

should interview with 17 people to get any job at any level anywhere.

Academic hiring can be very different ...
by NDFanSince81  (2022-07-15 12:29:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A coach, faculty member, high-level administrator might wish to meet with a variety of people to understand the facilities and services available at the institution. And many of those might be invited to send a note with their thoughts on the meeting.

But the actual hire/no-hire decision will come down to a much smaller set.

Thanks for posting. Hopeful he can continue to build. *
by MobileIrish  (2022-07-13 13:41:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent Hire....Go IRISH!!!! *
by ND Harvey  (2022-07-13 10:44:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on what? *
by GOLDENEIL  (2022-07-14 08:33:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great read. From never heard of him to like him for me. *
by Newt  (2022-07-12 20:58:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post