Shawn Stiffler’s Introductory Press Conference
by FightinIrish (2022-07-15 08:54:34)

My highlights:
Jody Sadler ran search…Jack was “busy”.
Stiffer was impressive and clearly understood the challenges and opportunities of his new position.
His emphasis will be on development of players as men, students, and leaders.
His managing strategy will focus on pitching and defense with a balanced offense…”controlled at bats”.
Current players’ concerns were about keeping program at a high level. Stiffer will re-recruit our players who entered portal.
Shawn Stiffler appears to be a good fit. I wish him good luck.
Go Irish!

Just a gee whiz note.
by usaf_irish  (2022-08-22 14:29:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I graduated with Shawn from Somerset Area High School Class of '97.

While I can't say much about his coaching career, I can say he's a good guy and one hell of a bulldog when it comes to competing.

Given how loyal he was to VCU, I don't think we're looking at a game who's eyes are already on the next thing. He left his alma mater to come here. That's saying something.

I also thought he was impressive
by garbageplate  (2022-07-15 15:38:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not surprised on the search comment. Sadler basically hired Jarrett, so I expected her to run the entire search for his successor.

Agreed. I hope we are never a stepping stone again
by Irish2003  (2022-07-15 12:39:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he's a good hire, and FWIW, is saying all the right things given what you mentioned (maybe VCU has some great grad student transfers?), even if I've already called the poor guy Sean and Steve.

On a broader note, hope is one thing, but reality is another, and sadly I expect we'll be having a similar discussion whether here or hockey once 67 year old Jeff Jackson retires. FSU is an odd duck as their athletic department is in shambles, yet unfortunately the Jarretts are from Tallahassee, Link is one of their star alumni, and they've been a powerhouse (strangely, Mike Martin was a far better version of Ringless Bo with as many CWS titles as you or I!) for ages whereas we've been a mess. South Bend isn't going to morph into La Jolla on the weather front, but it's long overdue for us to make some investments in both facilities and staff where we can be the premier cold-weather team, especially with Michigan having their own difficulties. Seeing as ND's net worth is hovering around $25B and mine is sadly nowhere near, I haven't seen the need to donate to athletics, but just made a baseball-targeted donation when we knocked out the Vols as a matter of principle, so hopefully I'm just one poor guy but among many like-minded people.

Well said both of you *
by wiNDycityfan  (2022-07-15 12:55:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post