Niko Kavadas Sox Minor League Offensive POY
by NH74Domer (2022-09-27 09:43:23)
Edited on 2022-09-27 13:24:07

Largely on the strength of his Single A performance. He struggled with AA Portland, with power numbers down a bit and strikeouts a lot higher. Portland made the playoffs but lost a two game set to Somerset and was eliminated. Niko had a home run in the opener then went 0-5 in the second game (all strikeouts). Hopefully, a full year in AA next season will be beneficial.

It will be interesting to see what the Sox do with him though as they already have a back log at 1B with both Casas and Hosmer on the 40 man roster. They are really high on Casas (although he hasn’t really done much since being called up) and the Padres are underwriting most of Hosmer’s salary. If Niko has a good year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was moved as part of a deal to acquire some pitching which might give him a better shot at making it elsewhere.

Here’s the excerpt from the article in The Boston Globe:

‘ Niko Kavadas, the organization’s Offensive Player of the Year, moved up from Single A Salem to High A Greenville before finishing the year in Double A Portland. He hit .280 with a .443 OBP (second-highest among minor leaguers at a full-season level), .547 slugging mark, and .990 OPS (sixth-highest) while crushing 26 homers and 52 extra-base hits.’

watch this
by saltwaterfarm  (2022-09-30 19:05:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry I cant do the link at this time. I think he is a longshot for the majors but I am hopeful.

https://www.si.com/mlb/red-sox/prospects/red-sox-slugger-niko-kavadas-blasts-two-run-shot-in-sea-dogs-playoff-game

I had hoped the Yanks would have drafted him .......
by Wolfetone  (2022-09-27 13:21:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perfect for the Stadium.....

Would have loved to have seen it as well - and given
by NH74DOMER  (2022-09-27 13:58:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cashman’s fondness for ND, was somewhat surprised he didn’t at least take a flyer on him. Admittedly, I don’t know much about what the Yanks have in their farm system at 1B, so maybe they thought the position was not one of priority. Also, the Yanks already have a team filled with “all or nothing” types and need more guys who can put the ball in play and move runners around the bases. This isn’t Niko’s game at the moment.