I agree completely.
by Steelhop (2018-12-10 13:47:45)
Edited on 2018-12-10 13:51:01

In reply to: Like Reid, Tomlin has run his course (somewhat long)  posted by strangebrew

You and your brother have hit on many of the same issues I've had with the team. The only issue you didn't hit on was his end of game time management which makes Kelly look like a savant. He is also 0 for 9 on his last 9 challenges and he isn't a guy that challenges calls that much. He just seems to lack a feel for end of game decisions and gets lost the moment.

I think your points 1 and 4 are directly related to his inability to get his team focused and leaves too much of the play "loose" atmosphere.

I think the drafting is part on him and part on Colbert. They have either drafted out right busts or average players with their 1st round pick from 2013-2016 (Jones, Shazier, Dupree and Burns). Dupree is okay but not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination. Shazier was a very good player and you can't account for his injury but he isn't there any more. The only thing you can say about Jones is that he will turn out to not be as big of a bust as Burns. You can't miss on players that are what should be the heart of your defense based on experience and talent.

They need to get away from the analytics of drafting athletic freaks and hoping to coach them up and instead find players. Edmunds was a reach, no doubt, my only hope (and it is small one) is that Steelers secondary guys take a year to learn the system. It shouldn't take that long to learn a defensive scheme.

BTW, just imagine how bad the team would be if they weren't hitting as well as they have on the offensive side of the ball. You have Brown (6th), Sanders(3rd), Bell (2nd), Bryant (4th), JJSS (2nd), Wallace (3rd), Gilbert (3rd), Foster (late rounder), Connor (3rd), Beacham (undrafted), AV (undrafted). If they got have the draft capital out of the offensive side of the ball they would be fine. Those guys have made up for a lot of mistakes on the defensive side.

I agree outsiders don't see the day to day issues, Steelers fans do. But, think about this Brady and Belichek have had the best run of football for the last 17 years and, this off-season you can see they are starting to tire of each other. I can't imagine this year helping that cause even at 9-4. It is just hard for you to hear the same stuff over and over again and not start to tune it out.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are right on the 2020