off the front page (link)
by olson (2018-12-12 10:26:14)
Edited on 2018-12-20 11:35:25

This user did not provide content for this post

Irish archives by Olson
by WillyLumplump  (2018-12-12 16:05:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please keep your work coming. Love these archival pieces about the players and tradition builders!

another interesting 1930 ND frosh football recruit
by olson  (2018-12-12 11:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Abraham Zvonkin T. Hamilton Ont. Canada

In the link below to Abe Zvonkin's Wikipedia page, you will not find any reference to the fact that Zvonkin attended ND...they missed a good part of Abe's fascinating story...

However you will find Abrabam Zvonkin listed in the 1930-31 Notre Dame Student Directory-he is the last name in the book. (I would have linked the directory too, but I only know how to link one thing at a time to a post :)

from the ND directory:

Zvonkin, Abraham
929 N Francis St South Bend AB 1
721 Barton E. Hamilton,Ont. Canada

Zvonkin had represented Canada in the 1930 Empire Games prior to entering ND-winning the Bronze Medal in the discus.

Then Abe enrolled at ND & played Frosh football under Rockne-Zvonkin was one of 50 awarded a Frosh football Numerial in 1930.

Zvonkin transferred to Queen's U in Kingston Canada & later was part of a Grey Cup winning Canadian championship football team + a professional wrestler.

here is the ND Student Directory 1930-31
by olson  (2018-12-12 11:16:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you will find listed

Abraham Zvonkin-last name in the book

as well as

Phil Krauciunas
Ed Krauciunas
Joseph Stancook
Hugh Devore
Ben Kane

yet another interesting member of that '30 Frosh class
by olson  (2018-12-12 11:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ben Kane HB Chicago Marshall

one of numerous Jewish ND football players during the days of Rockne
another of the 50 to win an ND Frosh Numerial in 1930

left ND after Rockne died to take a football scholarship to Northland College

as the link below states, Ben died at the age of 97 & was buried with a Notre Dame football.

I wonder if Ben Kane was the last of Rockne's recruits
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-12-12 13:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to leave this mortal coil.

Great stuff! Keep it coming I really appreciate your
by TWO  (2018-12-12 11:01:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

contributions to this forum.