Saban seems to bleed coordinators recently
by Doggie (2019-01-09 13:51:33)

In reply to: Georgia and Bama cant keep Coordinators....  posted by supernd

Except for Smart, most seem to come and go within 2 years. I get that coaches who have sat at the knee of "The Coach" might be in high demand. But they do seem to more mercenaries or in coaching reputation re-hab recently. I guess few recruits notice the turnover (Ross from Clemson apparently did).

Saban works them to death
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-01-09 14:06:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those coming in are just using Alabama as a stepping stone to further their careers. Can't blame them for that premise.

But there are numerous stories out there of Saban burning his staff out.
Reportedly not a fun environment to work in and most of his assistants can't wait to get the hell out at the first chance.

I've got a friend who was an asst at MSU
by irishrock  (2019-01-09 14:34:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MSU did not have a bowl game and it was a recruiting dead period. Saban made all the assistant coaches come in Christmas morning at 8:00. Again, no bowl game and nothing that could be done with recruiting. Saban's excuse, "well Terry (his wife) says I drive her nuts while she's preparing Christmas dinner and wants me out of the house"

So after sitting around all morning doing nothing, at 1:30 one of the senior assistant coaches got up and told Saban, "Nick, nothing's getting done today, I'm out of here" and left. Everybody followed him out.

My buddy was one of the guys that stuck around with Bobby Williams when Saban took the LSU job and sent the university jet to East Lansing with an offer of "anybody who wants a job at LSU has one and just has to get on the jet". Evidently, nobody got on the plane

I know after one of the early title wins at Alabama
by Groundhog  (2019-01-10 01:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had a recruiting meeting with all the coaches the very next morning. He is very demanding of his assistants.

Williams did coach for Saban later on.
by MobileIrish  (2019-01-09 16:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Williams coached for Saban at LSU, Miami, and Alabama. Apparently they reconnected after Williams was fired by MSU.

I read that the MSU coaches were offered jobs at MSU, but only if they all stayed. That may have played a role in the plane going back to Baton Rouge without them.

I have also heard stories that match yours about Saban’s work requirements for his coaches.

I thought I saw Bobby W on Alabama sideline. *
by irishhawk49  (2019-01-09 19:32:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like he was on staff at Alabama from 2008-17.
by MobileIrish  (2019-01-09 21:18:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to see him on the sidelines a lot.

Now listed as special teams coordinator at Oregon.

Still can’t believe Davie lost to MSU 5 straight years. The loss in 2000 still pisses me off. Dillingham to Battle in 2002 was nice revenge though.