My idea for an NCAA rule change
by Tex Francisco (2019-01-15 12:41:00)

What do you think would be the effect if the rules were changed such that 5th years don't count against the 85 scholarship limit (or even a lowered limit of 80) if they have graduated and stay with their original team? That seems like it'd be a good reward to players and programs for taking care of their business in the classroom. If a player hasn't graduated or transfers after graduation, then they are treated as they are now and do count against the limit. I certainly get why it has to be done, but I don't like the idea of ND having to tell a guy like Dew-Treadway that he doesn't have a spot on the roster for next year. Many guys may choose to transfer anyway in order to get more PT, but it'd be nice if they weren't forced to do so.

In addition to being beneficial to the players, I think such a rule would also disproportionately help the programs that take academics seriously, like ND, Stanford, Duke, Wake, et al.

Title IX rules could complicate it.
by 84david  (2019-01-16 13:35:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume it means they'd have to create equal scholarships for women.

It could be worked out though.

As long as the option was applied equally to all sports
by OITLinebacker  (2019-01-18 08:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see how that complicates it. In fact might be a bigger boon to women's sports overall as I would have to imagine that there are more 5th year/graduate players in those sports as there are fewer professional sports for them to move on to.

Agree completely *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-15 19:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's pretty good. *
by rockmcd  (2019-01-15 17:56:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good idea *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-15 16:51:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the red-shirting teams will see the highest benefit
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-15 16:00:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With the new red shirting rules in place as well I think you’d see every single lineman and most of the skill position players redshirt the first year. There’s simply no reason not to do so.

I’m not sure if that’s good or bad for players but I think the teams and universities that redshirt will see the advantage.

I like it as well *
by Cards86  (2019-01-15 15:35:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like it *
by El Kabong  (2019-01-15 14:20:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like it, but I think it'd be taken advantage of
by ndzippy  (2019-01-15 12:48:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could see mid-major programs, or low-tier P5 teams (i.e., teams that don't produce many pros), use this rule to load up on developmental prospects and ultimately build out a roster with 100+ scholarship players.

I don't think this would be unfair (because everybody would be playing by the same rules), but I also wouldn't be surprised to see influencers/decision-makers (coaches, ADs, etc.) push back on the grounds of such a rule creating an uneven playing field.

Title IX would moderate this
by fontoknow  (2019-01-15 21:57:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If signings are limited to 25 lois a year, the max scholarship roster would be 100.

wouldn't it be 110 in theory, although unlikely in practice?
by Tex Francisco  (2019-01-16 13:51:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could have a class of 25 freshmen all become 5th years and not count against the limit, and you could then recruit 85 more behind them.

The first mission of any university with regard to student
by cujays96  (2019-01-15 14:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

athletes should be to help them obtain an education. This would be rewarding good behavior by both the university and its student athletes.

Where's the harm?
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-01-15 14:20:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Programs that graduate their kids in four years would have an advantage. What's the problem?

I mean, outside of fake degrees like the Fake University of North Carolina.

Not harm, but could be perceived as an advantage
by weirdo0521  (2019-01-16 15:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for those programs that can afford another 15 scholarships per year. A lot of the NCAA rule book (especially the ones that are perceived to be silly by the average person) come from a leveling the playing field point of view.

Agreed, but why is that a bad thing?
by Tex Francisco  (2019-01-15 13:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like it'd potentially level the playing field and give programs like Iowa and IU a path for competing against programs like Ohio State. It would create a dynamic not all that different than what you see in basketball with some programs loading up on one and dones and other programs building around multi-year players.

This is the biggest impact, I think.
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-01-16 09:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The stability created by having quality depth would help the next tier teams. The teams that just reload get to work in backup players from their talented depth charts when needed due to injury, etc.

I agree with you
by ndzippy  (2019-01-15 22:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don't think most of the blue bloods that run the sport are interested in "leveling the playing field" for schools like Iowa and IU.