Olson keep it going (and a true story)
by aguirretwog (2019-01-15 23:18:03)

In reply to: off the front page *  posted by olson

Great memories conjured up for this class of ‘73 graduate. Please keep up your research and reporting. One quick story, as SOL has expired and the principal actor has long since passed away. I had gotten to know a certain freshman linebacker mentioned in your post since we both lived in Walsh. I lived on the first floor right inside the front entrance (he lived upstairs with Mike Escalante). At 2 am on a weekday night first semester he burst into my room with two electric guitars - he’d gotten into a “dispute” with a band at a bar somewhere in SB and had “confiscated” their guitars. He wanted to hide them under my bed. I was in no position to refuse as he was clearly not compos mentis. What he did with the guitars after they stayed under my bed for a day or two I have no idea. This was shortly after he’d “allegedly” (it was widely reported but I didn’t witness it) bitten the head off a gerbil. Not surprisingly he didn’t return for second semester.

Escalante seemed like a very nice guy and reportedly was very good but was homesick for SCal. Having this roommate probably didn’t make his attempted transition to the Midwest any easier.

Our class may not have been so talented but it didn’t lack for colorful characters.

So many more stories...so little time...