AP sports writer: "By my count, since NFL changed OT rules
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-01-21 00:10:05)
Edited on 2019-01-21 00:14:01

in 2012, team that starts first has a 60-51-7 record after today. But four of the six playoff games that have gone to OT under new rules ended with a TD on first possessions." (I'm combining two tweets by the author.)

QBs who didn't get on the field in the playoffs in OT include the following:

Aaron Rodgers doesn't see the ball in 2014 (NFC title game debacle).
Aaron Rodgers doesn't see the ball in 2015 (nobody covers Fitzgerald).
Matt Ryan doesn't see the ball in 2016 (Falcons blow 28-3 lead).
Patrick Mahomes doesn't see the ball in 2018 (Edelman and Burkhead).

You are missing Denver v Steelers. First playoff OT with
by btd  (2019-01-22 22:53:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the new rules and Tebow had his miracle play I think the first play of the OT.

Ugh
by Molly Maguires  (2019-01-23 07:32:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then Tawm Terrific* put like 50 on them.

I would prefer to have them play two five minute OT halves
by Dutch  (2019-01-22 18:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coin flip to start with the winner able to receive, kick or defer.
Each team gets one timeout and one challenge per half.
Regular football rules for each half.
If still tied after both halves, it's a tie in the regular season, but play another OT (two halves) in playoffs until someone wins.

Just play a 15 minute quarter
by JBrock18  (2019-01-22 11:43:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If its still tied simply continue play in sudden death mode. That is the easiest solution.

Take the current NFL OT rule but
by Pat85  (2019-01-21 12:32:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

require a second possession regardless of the result of the first possession and also require a 2-point conversion attempt for the first (and if it occurs, second) possession TD. Perhaps JT's suggested alteration of the college OT would be better, but I prefer they just play normal football with special teams, but allow each team to have one possession.

I agree with most of this
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-21 15:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't require a 2-point conversion after the first OT TD. And I would end OT if there's a defensive score on the first possession.

Of course - as long as each team has a possession,
by Pat85  (2019-01-22 14:24:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the game ends once the tie is broken (a safety, pick-6 or fumble return for TD fulfills that). I would prefer 2-point attempts to limit the prospects of another tie and a required 3rd possession, but I would be fine with the normal options being available. I could see value in a just playing a 15 minute period (with 4th quarter timing rules), but I prefer keeping a little of the urgency and excitement of sudden-death.

I would just play another full quarter.
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-21 17:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I would keep doing it until there is a winner. Hockey isn't afraid to go that long in a playoffs that are at least as grueling. At a very minimum, any other solution can wait until a second overtime period.

I'd be fine with that, too *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-21 19:25:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-01-21 16:47:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Playing football includes defense and special teams
by pmcdnd96  (2019-01-21 08:29:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are the college rules more fair? Probably, but even those rules disproportionately favor a team with a good red zone offense or defense.

The Chiefs had the Pats 3rd-and-10 three different times
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-21 11:53:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn't a miracle throw like the Tebow throw that beat them.

One way to eliminate the coin flip altogether
by k-rock  (2019-01-21 01:51:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There must be a slight advantage to deferring to the second half since that is what most teams elect. Make this part of home field advantage and let the home team kick off first and receive in the 2nd. If the game ends in a tie, the road team gets the kickoff in overtime. In the Superbowl, the designated home team follows the same rules.

I like idea of Name that Tune. Coaches decide which yard
by Inigomontoya  (2019-01-22 01:12:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

line they would take the ball, until the other coach says “Ok, you can have it then, mutherf-ckr.”

I suppose maybe it would turn into the visiting team always saying...ok, I will take the ball at the 1 yard line.

I love this. Would never happen, but it would be so awesome. *
by rockmcd  (2019-01-23 17:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually prefer the college rules
by jt  (2019-01-21 00:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I would start with the ball on the 50.

I am not a fan of either
by pmoose  (2019-01-23 14:37:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have changed the NFL rule to make sure that each team has at least 1 possession in OT, regardless of whether the first team with the ball gets a TD on that possession. After that 1st possession, if the score is still tied, sudden death from there.

It just seems arbitrary and taking out a phase of the game (kickoff special teams) by starting the ball at some location on the field.

Why not the offensive team's 25, just like a touchback on
by SUJB9  (2019-01-21 14:10:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a kickoff? Seems less arbitrary than the 50 and allows play to more accurately reflect a normal game (less reliance on kickers).

The 17 would actually be a good solution.
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-22 12:25:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the break-even point where each team is just as likely to score next.

I favor this. *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-01-21 16:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Play a quarter (not sudden death) and then call it a tie *
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-21 13:54:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Need to have a winner in the playoffs
by jbrown_9999  (2019-01-21 23:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so ties are not an option

Replay the game!
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-22 10:39:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(Kidding, kidding, I didn’t get that much out of Irish sport)

Or then let it go to Sudden Death after the extra Quarter. *
by 3rdSt  (2019-01-21 14:17:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

College 54.9% vs NFL 54%
by jbrown_9999  (2019-01-21 11:41:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on numbers, NFL OT games were won by team receiving opening kickoff in OT 54.0% of the time vs. college teams playing defense first in OT winning 54.9% of the time.

So while there is not really much difference in the numbers, the new NFL OT rules actually are closer to having 50/50 results than the current college rules.

This may be the result of college FG kickers vs NFL kickers. *
by frosh  (2019-01-21 22:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or the team going second on offense knowing exactly what
by jbrown_9999  (2019-01-21 23:36:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they need be it a FG to win, TD to tie, etc.

I do too
by irishrock  (2019-01-21 09:57:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The loser cannot have a legitimate gripe

Agree completely. It's much more objective and fair.
by Duke Camaro  (2019-01-21 09:44:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the college OT rules (starting at the 50) weren't an option, then they should just play an extra quarter.

5 years ago I would have disagreed. But I've come
by 84david  (2019-01-21 08:58:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

around 180 and like college OT better as well.