Take the current NFL OT rule but
by Pat85 (2019-01-21 12:32:23)

In reply to: AP sports writer: "By my count, since NFL changed OT rules  posted by G.K.Chesterton

require a second possession regardless of the result of the first possession and also require a 2-point conversion attempt for the first (and if it occurs, second) possession TD. Perhaps JT's suggested alteration of the college OT would be better, but I prefer they just play normal football with special teams, but allow each team to have one possession.

I agree with most of this
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-21 15:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't require a 2-point conversion after the first OT TD. And I would end OT if there's a defensive score on the first possession.

Of course - as long as each team has a possession,
by Pat85  (2019-01-22 14:24:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the game ends once the tie is broken (a safety, pick-6 or fumble return for TD fulfills that). I would prefer 2-point attempts to limit the prospects of another tie and a required 3rd possession, but I would be fine with the normal options being available. I could see value in a just playing a 15 minute period (with 4th quarter timing rules), but I prefer keeping a little of the urgency and excitement of sudden-death.

I would just play another full quarter.
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-21 17:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I would keep doing it until there is a winner. Hockey isn't afraid to go that long in a playoffs that are at least as grueling. At a very minimum, any other solution can wait until a second overtime period.

I'd be fine with that, too *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-01-21 19:25:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-01-21 16:47:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post